Index by Last Name
+ index is incomplete
Back to Dictionary

+ Digitized Directories
+ 1846-1922 Unitarian
+ 1840-1920 Universalist

Obituaries (1870-71) in the 1872 Register

Rev. Davis Bacon. This brother, a pioneer laborer and devoted missionary of Universalism in the West, died on Tuesday, January 10, 1871, at Trinidad, Colorado Territory, whither he had gone for the benefit of his health. He was born in Greenfield, Mass., August 15, 1813. When he was about seven years old his parents removed to Oppenheim in what is now Fulton County, New York, where his mother died April 3, 1871, in the 83rd year of her age. Young Bacon attended the Clinton Liberal Institute during the Fall terms of 1837 and 1838. Early in 1839 be migrated to Harrison County, Ky., where he engaged in teaching school until the Spring of 1842, when he returned to New York, and in May was married to Miss Jane Jenkins, of Prospect, Oneida County. He commenced preaching soon after and in the Spring of 1843, returned to Harrison County, Ky., where he was engaged in teaching and preaching for nearly two years. He received a Letter of Fellowship, August 31, 1844, which was the same as ordination then, but from what ecclesiastical body does not appear. From Harrison Co., Ky., he removed to Rutland, Ohio, and thence to Mount Healthy, Ohio, where be spent several years in preaching within the bounds of the Miami Association. In 1851 he removed to Hamilton, Ohio, and superintended the building of a Universalist Meeting House there. In April, 1853 he left Ohio and settled in Pittsburg, Pa., where no minister of our Faith had lifted up his voice for many years. Here be gathered a Church, and to his zeal and energy are our friends in Pittsburg largely indebted for whatever strength and prosperity our cause now has in that city.

In April, 1870, when journeying to an appointment in W. Virginia, he was suddenly prostrated, and from this sickness he never recovered. During the July following he spent two weeks under the roof of his brother, Rev. W. S. Bacon. He hoped to meet once more with his brothers and sisters at the old homestead, but failing health deprived him of the privilege. He started on the 27th of September for the far West, in hope of finding relief, and reached Trinidad about the middle of November. In the last letter received from him, dated December 17th, 1870, be stated that his health was greatly improved. But the improvement was only temporary. On the 10th of January, 1871, this indefatigable soldier of the cross passed away from earth, in the 58th year of his age, and, to human view, much too soon for the completion of his mission and the welfare of the cause of which he was a pure, faithful, energetic and successful advocate.

Rev. Evan Miles. This brother departed this life at the residence of his son, in Fulton, Wisconsin, January 13, 1871, in the ninety-third year of his age. He was a native of Virginia, removing to Kentucky at the age of twenty-two years, and from thence, at the age of thirty-eight, to Indiana, where he lived thirty-five years, removing in 1851, with his son, to Rock County, Wis. He was a man of remarkable bodily and mental vigor. His habits through life were good, and even tobacco, to the use of which he was formerly accustomed, he was enabled by his strong will to discard entirely, many years ago. Theology and the Bible were the themes on which he delighted to dwell. In 1846, while residing in Indiana, he was licensed to preach the Gospel, and was in fellowship as a Universalist preacher until his removal to Wisconsin. He remained firm in his religious faith to the last. He was a good and just man, and shared largely in the confidence or the community. Those who had known him for many years testify to his integrity and christian character. His aged widow survives him.

Rev. B. S. Hobbs. What we have been able to learn of this brother is gathered from a letter of Rev. Henry Jewell, who informs the public that Mr. Hobbs had suffered from ill health for years, much of the time being confined to his bed, and that he passed away from this life on Monday, January 16, 1871, at Lee Centre, (Oneida County) N. Y., being about fifty years of age. He went to Lee Centre about four years before, and officiated as pastor there until he was compelled by failing health to give up his charge. He had been for years a great and a patient sufferer. He leaves a wife and several children, who did all that was possible to make his days pass comfortably. The Universalists and other citizens of Lee are also to be remembered for their kind and faithful services to the suffering man. His remains were interred at Auburn, N. Y.

He was a good man, of noble impulses, and of a kind and amiable disposition, as all those testify who have known him intimately. It is to be mentioned to his credit that he bore his protracted sufferings with the most exemplary patience and fortitude.

Rev. William Gamage. Mr. Gamage was born in Boston, Mass., March 1, 1818, and was the son of William and Julia (Babcock) Gamage, both of whom died while he was but an infant. When a young man he became a member of the old Warren Street Universalist Society, a teacher in the Sunday School and an active participant in the Conference Meeting. He entered the ministry of Reconciliation in 1845, after having been for some time under the tuition of Rev. Samuel P. Skinner, then of Newton Upper Falls, Mass. During that period we often met him and retain a very favorable impression of his kindly disposition, his gentlemanly manners, his deep interest in the work of the ministry, and his devotion to his sacred calling. He was married April 3, 1848, to Miss Eliza J. Hays, at Bethel, (Morgan County) Ill., who, with one daughter, survives him. He was ordained in 1849. He has been located as a preacher in Waukegan, Girard, Barry, Hovey's Point and some other places in Illinois. His work was, in the main, that of a pioneer, and be performed a large amount of work for very little pay.

He commanded the respect and esteem of all who knew him, and even big religious opposers freely acknowledged his christian virtues and gentlemanly bearing towards all with whom he had to do. He was extremely diffident in his manner, and hardly passed for what he was worth. He was a very close student and a good writer. In consequence of the meager support given him by the societies to which he ministered, he was compelled to devote a portion of his time to teaching school, which he did with great credit to himself and to the satisfaction of his patrons. And such were his diligence, economy, and careful and conscientious management of his affairs that he left his family in comfortable pecuniary circumstances. As a husband and father be was all that could be desired. He died at Girard, Ill., February 12th, 1871 of paralysis of the throat, having almost completed the fifty-third year of his age. His funeral was said to be the largest ever held in the town. He was an unpretending, thoughtful, earnest, faithful minister of the Gospel through all the years of his active life, willing to labor in any field, however small and humble, in the service of his Divine Master, always commanding the respect of every community in which he made his abode, ever honoring and strengthening our cause, and exemplifying the religion of Jesus Christ by his preaching and his life. One who knew him well says of him: "I have known him intimately for twenty years, and can truly say that he was one of the purest men it was ever my good fortune to know."

Rev. J. W. Lawton. Mr. Lawton died at Delavan, Wis., March 30, 1871, aged 62 years. He received a Letter of License as a preacher from the Wisconsin Convention in June, 1868. We learn that he has not preached constantly,—only occasionally—of late. We find his name as a preacher in Wisconsin in the Register of 1857, 1858, 1859 and 1860. Afterwards it was omitted, we know not for what reason, until 1871.

We regret that the brother to whom application was made for a biographical sketch did not attend to the request, and that we have been able to glean no other particulars of Brother Lawton.

Rev. William Bell. Father Bell,—as we have long been accustomed to call him,—was born in Windsor, Vermont, June 16th, 1791. He died in Boston, Massachusetts, April 20, 1871, having nearly completed his 80th year. His father, Rev. Benjamin Bell, was a Congregational clergyman, a graduate of Yale College, and a Calvinist of the straightest sect, in which faith the son was educated, though he never fully embraced it. For some years he was vacillating between Calvinism and mere Deism, until the light of a better faith broke upon his mind. His mother, it is said, though a member of his father's church, had a loving and gentle nature upon which the harsher features of the creed sat rather loosely; and from her, rather than from his father, the son inherited those cheerful, trustful traits which were so conspicuous in his character. In 1797 the family removed to South Hampton, N. H., where William received the rudiments of his education. Subsequently he attended school at East Kingston and Concord, N. H., and at Newburyport, Mass. At one time he was sent to board in the family of Rev. Peter Sanborn, of Reading Mass., a stern old gentleman, who maintained a severe discipline in his family, and held a very tight rein over the children placed under his charge. In 1803, when William was in his 12th year, he lost his mother, and was soon after apprenticed to the printing business, with a Mr. Hough, of Concord, N. H. In 1806 he left the printing office and learned the silver-plating business. In March, 1813, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Dow, of Gilmanton, N. H., who yet survives. Soon after his marriage, during the war with England, he enlisted in the service of his country and hastened to the frontier to repel invasion, though he was never, we believe, in any actual engagement.

In the spring of 1818 he removed to Charlestown, Mass., and during that year, under the preaching of Rev. Edward Turner, became a convert to Universalism. In 1820 he removed to Cambridgeport, Mass., and was one of the first members of the Universalist church there. After spending some time under the instruction of Rev. Hosea Ballou, he began to preach, in the winter of 1824, in Haverhill, Mass. He was fellowshipped by the Southern Association, and ordained, in company with Massena B. Ballou, in 1825, at the General Convention, in Hartland, Vt. He spent the first ten years of his ministry in Salem and Washington, N. H, and Springfield and Woodstock, Vt. During this period he edited and published five volumes of the "Watchman and Christian Repository." From Woodstock he removed to Lansinburg, N. Y., thence to Bennington, Vt., thence to Milford, Mass.; in all which places he labored earnestly and successfully in the cause of his Master. From Milford he removed to Lowell, where for a time he resumed his editorial labors, publishing the "Star of Bethlehem." In 1849 he removed to Boston, where, with the exception of three years spent in Charlestown, he remained until his death. Here amongst his children and grand-children, shielded from want and care, he spent in dignified retirement the evening of life, honored and beloved by all. God dealt very kindly with him. Although his locks had become white as snow many years ago, his cheeks were ruddy with health, his step was elastic, and his strength almost to the very last unabated.

After retiring from all pastoral labor he retained his love for the truth and his interest in the church to which he belonged, and as his custom had been for many years so even till near the close of his pilgrimage he continued to travel abroad over New England as occasion called and preach the glad tidings of the Kingdom of God. Even down to his 78th year he was thus accustomed to preach and with a vigor quite unusual to a man of his years. One of the last occasions of lifting up his voice in public was at the great Centennial meeting at Gloucester. At intervals also, for special purposes, he resumed his old and well-used pen, as on the publication of Rev. H. W. Beecher's famous sermon on "Future Punishment." He wrote Mr. Beecher a letter on the subject, which we have reason to believe Mr. Beecher read, whether it had any influence in strengthening that great man's evident and growing tendency to free himself altogether from the trammels of that horrible dogma or not.

Father Bell will hardly be remembered as one of our great men either in respect to his natural endowments or his acquirements; but, considering his circumstances in early life, he was a man of honorable attainments, of fair culture, and better than all of a sound mind, of eminent goodness of heart, an amiable disposition, strong faith and decided religious feeling. From the time he entered the ministry until he laid his well-worn armor down, he diligently labored to build up the church to which be belonged as a compact and efficient organization because it embodied the truth as it is in Jesus. All honor to his memory now that his voice is hushed in silence and his pen laid aside forever.

Rev. W. A. P. Dillingham. William Addison Pitt Dillingham was born in Hallowell, Maine, September 4, 1824. His mother dying when he was but four, and his father when he was but six years old, he and a younger sister entered the family of his father's eldest brother, Joseph Pitt Dillingham, a merchant of Augusta, where he found a home until manhood. His early life was remarkable for its purity. The evil habits of his young associates never seemed to have any influence over him. He was distinguished even in youth for the same noble and generous impulses and the same conscientiousness and truthfulness which characterized him in after years. He pursued his studies in the public schools of Augusta, fitted for College, and in the autumn of 1842 entered Waterville College. He remained there, however, but for a single term, when he left,—it is said, on account of the close sectarian atmosphere then prevalent in the College, which he felt to be insupportable,—and went to Cambridge with the intention of entering the Law School; but his interest in theological studies and his strong religious feelings finally decided him to enter the Divinity School, from which he was in due time graduated. He was ordained in 1847, and first settled as a minister in Augusta among those with whom his early life was spent and where his character and qualifications for the Christian ministry must have been well known. No higher honor can be conferred on a young clergyman than a call to settle at home. He was married during his first settlement in Augusta, to Miss Caroline Townsend, of Sidney, Me., a woman worthy of him and who departed this life about six months before him. From Augusta he removed to Dover, Me.; then to Portsmouth, N. H., then to Norridgewock, Me., then back to Augusta for a second pastoral settlement, thence he removed to a farm he had purchased in Sidney, Me., then to Waterville, Me.; in all these places preaching the Gospel with ability, fidelity and success.

In the year 1867, while living in Waterville, he withdrew his formal connection with our denomination and joined the Swedenborgians, towards whose general views he had long been known to lean. In their connection he preached more or less for two or three years in various places, and last to a congregation of that faith in Chicago. But he was not at home in the New Jerusa1em church, as it is called, nor did he find in it what he sought. That was not the church to which by nature or culture he belonged, and he sought and found, with great joy, fellowship and a home in the church of his early hopes and labors.

In April, 1870, be decided to resume his ecclesiastical relations with Universalists, from whom be had never been alienated in spirit, and united with St. Paul's church in Chicago, and at the same time addressed a letter to his friend, Rev. C. R. Moor, of Augusta, Me., in which he unfolded his mental struggles, the travail of his soul and his plans and purposes for the future. This letter is characteristic of the man, frank, cordial, generous, full of kindly feeling, breathing the most fervent piety and the sweetest charity. It is equally creditable to him and to the Universalist Denomination in which he began and ended his ministry. In it he gives his reasons for thinking be should "be happier" and "more useful" among us than among any other Christian peop1e. We quote a few sentences, to show how a good man, with a peculiar intellectual constitution and of a visionary and speculative turn of mind, could drift out of our ranks for a while, and then voluntarily return to his first love, without any fundamental change of faith and without losing the respect and esteem of his old associates; thus demonstrating the freedom and liberality of our ecclesiastical body.

Brother Dillingham said, in the letter referred to: "We have been separated denominationally for n few years, but never separated in affection, in our desire for the heavenly life, nor in the offices of Christian charity, nor in respect for each other's convictions, nor in fundamental Christian doctrine . . . If I should never preach again as a settled pastor, in private, secluded life, let it be my pleasure find honor to be called once more a Universalist, only let me live 'nearer my God to Thee,'—as the Father in Heaven, who, in the dispensation of the fullness of time will gather together all things in One, even in Christ, the Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world. . . . Words from the surface of my mind, at times, may have expressed doubts about the future state of those who go into the invisible realm without furnishing evidence of regeneration commenced; but in the depth of my rational convictions and of my inmost soul, the faith of the great apostle that the Lord Jesus Christ shall reign till all things are subdued unto him that God may be all in all—this faith has been the underlying basis of every sweet and holy experience in the divine life, like an immovable rock, sometimes submerged, but always there. I never preached the eternity of the hells nor any doctrine inconsistent with the divine benevolence, and I never heard Universalism or Universalists attacked or spoken of in derogatory terms as to their moral influence by some New Church people, without putting in a square defence of those whom I knew only to respect, and who had treated me with consideration beyond my deserts. And yet I acted honestly when I united with the New Church. I desired to find a people more spiritual than I was myself, than my old associates were, and I did think or hope to find greener fields, purer waters, more heavenly manna, than I had known as a Universalist. . . . But better people, more conscientious, or more spiritual, or earnest, or intelligent, or tolerant, I have not found, than those I left. An honest confession is good for the soul. I am persuaded I shall be happier as a Universalist, with the "rights, privileges, freedom and blessings of the Denomination in which I was cherished in my youth, by which I was rolled into the Christian ministry, from which I was reluctantly dismissed at my own request, and to which again the warmest words have invited me."

While Mr. Dillingham lived in Waterville he entered the arena of politics, and for two years (1864 and 1865) he represented the town in the Legislature, for the latter year being Speaker of the House of Representatives. He was a Trustee of the Agricultural College of Maine. At one time also he held an appointment as Financial Agent of the general government of the United States. In all these positions of honor and responsibility, he was always honest and faithful in the discharge of all his duties. "Nothing approaching a suspicion to the contrary was ever breathed against him," (says Rev. C. R. Moor, in the funeral address from which we have largely quoted), "and the amount of secular business which he had on his hands at different times, would have thoroughly secularized many of those clergymen who do not now seem to know the actual meaning of the word business, had the same rested on them. Ah, it would have secularized him, but for the natural drift of his religious feelings and his habits of religious meditation and devotion. These kept the fires of religious life burning at the centre of his being in no ordinary degree. He was uncommonly reverent even for a clergyman of any church. His piety was spontaneous, warm, gushing, often overflowing. If those who appreciated and loved him best, regretted any of the changes and seeming inconsistencies of his life, no person who had the least right to judge him, by virtue of any knowledge of his character, ever, for a moment doubted his sincerity or questioned his honesty of purpose."

As preacher and pastor Mr. Dillingham endeared himself to many hearts. He impressed his hearers with the idea of his perfect sincerity. He was emotional in a very large measure. Few men were ever more, or as gifted in prayer. Few men ever had better qualities for a public speaker. With a tall, dignified, imposing presence, and a voice of extraordinary compass, richness and power, his speech was impressive and effective.

He had returned to his former home and farm in Sidney, Me., and had engaged to preach once on each Sabbath in that town, and also in the adjacent village of West Waterville, and was entering with great ardor and energy into the religious work before him, when he was suddenly stricken down with acute pneumonia. When told on the morning of the day on which he died (April 22, 1871) that he must pass away, he looked up with one of his sweetest smiles and inquired: "How long will it be before the change comes?" When told that it would come in a few hours, he smiled again, and replied, "So very soon?" Not long after he asked: "Who will take care of the Cause?" "What cause?" said one of the sons. "The Cause of Universalism here," he replied. And then he breathed his life back to him who gave it.

Thus he ended his mortal career in the 47th year of his age, and in the meridian of his strength, leaving two sons and a daughter, by whom and by many, many more his memory will be kept green; and the influence of his life will remain among the active forces which shall at last triumph over all evil.

Rev. G. C. Lemon. Mr. Lemon was the son or Matthias Lemon, and was born in Genesee, (Livingston Co.) N. Y., March 3, 1803. He became a Universalist in sentiment early in life. In 1817 he moved to Washington County, Indiana. In 1826 he was married to Miss Anna Lewis, who died in Muncie, Ind., in 1861 or 1862. In 1833 Mr. Lemon became so awakened upon the subject of religion as to make a public profession of his faith, and take an active part in conference and prayer-meetings whenever an opportunity offered. There were no Universalist organizations at that time in the part or the State in which he lived. Some time in 1835 he commenced preaching the Gospel of Impartial Grace, in the midst of strong opposition, being encouraged and assisted by Abiram Stacy, a convert about that time from the "United Brethren," and received fellowship as a Universalist minister at the organization of the White River Association, in Indiana, in 1842, and subsequently from the Illinois Convention. In 1848 he removed to Peoria, Ill., and spent the winter, and the next season settled at Metamora, Ill., where he resided at the time of his death, which occurred April 27, 1871.

In the Fall of 1849 he commenced preaching in Pekin, Ill., one-fourth of the time, and continued to do so for three years. Under his ministry a Society was organized, and eventually a Meeting House was built at that place. He continued to preach until within two years of his death, when be was prevented from doing so by disease and the infirmities of age. He received no stated salary for his labors, and supported his family mainly by his practice as a physician. He loved the faith he preached, and gave evidence to all that be was deeply interested in the prosperity of our Saviour's cause and kingdom on earth. He died of consumption. He was conscious of his condition and of his approaching end, and finally passed away like one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him and lies down to pleasant dreams.

Rev. John Dore. Mr. Dore died at West Parsonsfield, Maine, Tuesday, April 28, 1871, of typhoid fever, after a sickness of only about ten days. He was about 58 years of age.

We have been able to gather but few particulars of his early life; we only know that be was formerly a Free Will Baptist preacher, and that he joined our Denomination in the year 1842. In the year 1868 be removed from Mechanic Falls, where be had for some time been living and engaged in secular business, to Parsonsfield, for the purpose of giving his whole time and attention to the work of the Gospel ministry in which his heart delighted. He soon organized a Society there consisting of residents of Parsonsfield, (Me.) and Effingham, (N. H.), which in due time erected a substantial and commodious House of worship. He had an appointment to preach, April 30, in Hiram, where a congregation assembled to hear him; but he did not appear, and the congregation dispersed without having even heard of Mr. Dore's sickness. It was, in fact, the very day of his funeral, but the sad news of his departure did not reach them until after all that was mortal of the preacher was buried up in the ground. He was not an educated man, but he was a Bible Christian, and eminently useful in the sphere be occupied.

His funeral took place on Sunday, April 30, at the Universalist Meeting House, in West Parsonsfield, Me., under peculiar circumstances. It providentially happened that no minister of our faith was present. Rev. Z. Thompson, engaged to preach on the occasion, failed to reach the place through a failure of the railroad trains to make connection, and Mr. Dore was buried with Masonic honors, (being a member of that Order), Rev. C. K. Moore, Baptist, of Effingham, N.H., pronouncing a eulogy, in the course of which he said, no greater tribute could be paid to the memory of any man than he was pleased to pay to that of the departed,—that he was a man that stood for the right regardless of consequences. After appropriate Masonic services, Mr. Dore's remains were deposited in their resting-place in the rear of the Meeting House, and the Lodge ("Charter Oak"), with slow and solemn step retired; but before closing took up a contribution to defray the funeral expenses, after paying which there remained a balance of over $30 for the benefit of the widow of the deceased brother. The Lodge also passed resolutions relative to Mr. Dare's decease, one of which is as follows: Resolved, That in this dispensation, society has lost an honest and exemplary member, his family a devoted heart, Masonry a firm supporter, and Christianity an earnest and zealous advocate."

Rev. C. F. Jay. Mr. Jay was a resident of Rusk, (Cherokee Co.) Texas. He was taken ill on the 3rd of April, 1871, and lingered with a slow fever until the 5th of May following, when be passed away from earth, rejoicing in the hope of a world's salvation. He was ordained in 1858 by the Alabama Convention.

At the time of his death be was about seventy years old, and has left a good name as a most precious legacy to his family. His wife, in communicating the intelligence of his death, remarks, that "he often rejoiced while contemplating the glory of God, and said he was not like those who say all is dark, dark, dark; for all was light with him as he drew nearer and nearer the border of the spirit land."

We regret that we have been unable to obtain any further particulars of this aged preacher.

Rev. Thomas Johnson Carney. He was a man of strong convictions, and an earnest defender of the faith he had embraced. He consecrated himself to the work of the Christian ministry with singleness of heart and purpose, and was devoted, faithful and reliable. He was sympathizing and kind, courteous and dignified in his bearing, and made many friends, who hold him in affectionate and lasting remembrance. He was born in Dresden, Me., June 10, 1818. Early in life be was deprived of his mother's care by her death, and thereby suffered a loss which he always deeply felt. He was taught the doctrines of Universalism by his father, James Carney, who was a staunch Universalist, and whose house was regarded as a "minister's home." Rev. S. Cobb was the first Universalist preacher to whom young Thomas listened. His attention was turned to the Universalist ministry, as the employment of his life, by Rev. W. C. George, who was at one time settled in Dresden. In 1838, when about twenty years old, that he might,—as he says in his journal,—"see the country and gain information," he made a western tour, visiting Boston, Providence, New York, Philadelphia and Cincinnati. This journey, as taken by him, was in some instances perilous; but as he was wary, temperate in his habits, and very observing and appreciative, it proved to be instructive and useful. From 1840 to 1844, he resided in South Carolina, engaged for a time as a private tutor with a planter in Beaufort, and, afterwards, keeping a select school in Charleston. In that city, in the summer of 1844, he was attacked with the malignant fever of the country, the result of exposure during a visit into the rural district. From the effects of that illness he never fully recovered. His experiences of the sick bed and in his near approach to death strengthened him in his early purpose to become a minister of the Gospel. To improve his health he spent a year traveling in Georgia, Louisiana and other Southern States, returning to Maine in the autumn of 1845. The change of climate, and his grief occasioned by the death of a beloved brother affected his health and spirits for a time, unfitted him for study, and delayed him in his work of special preparation for the ministry. In March, 1846, he made a trip to the West Indies. He returned in June, and studied theology with Rev. J. P. Weston, then located in Gardiner, Maine. In the pulpit of the Universalist Meeting House in Gardiner he preached his first sermon. He afterwards spent a little time with his old pastor, Rev. W. C. George, then residing in St. Stephen, N.B., and preached in Pembroke, Me., from June to October, 1847. Thence he went to Philadelphia, received a Letter of Fellowship from the Pennsylvania State Convention, May 3rd, 1848, and was ordained as pastor of the Kensington Society, in Philadelphia, June 4, of the same year. On that occasion Revs. Otis A. Skinner, Charles Spear, T. J. Greenwood and A. C. Thomas officiated; and original hymns were furnished by Miss Julia A. Fletcher, afterwards his wife. He remained with this society one year. He was married May 1st, 1849, to Miss Fletcher, in the Warren Street Church, Boston, by Rev. O. A. Skinner. In the following year he ministered to four Societies in Maine, preaching in Livermore, Leeds, Wayne, and at Livermore Falls. In 1850, hoping to improve his health by a change of climate, he settled in Cooperstown, N. Y. In pursuit of the same object, on the first of May, 1851, just twenty years before receiving the injury which caused his death, he crossed the State of Michigan, moving westward. Much of his labor in the West was of a missionary character. He was settled in Beloit, Wis., and in Sycamore and Franklin Grove, Ill. For nearly fifteen of the last years of his life his family resided in Galesburg, Ill., while he preached, as opportunity offered, in various places, but especially fulfilling a successful ministry in Macomb, Yates City, and in a circuit in Southern Illinois, embracing New Salem, "Barr's Store," Apple Creek Prairie and Whitehall.

In 1859-60 he was State Missionary in Missouri, extending his labors into Kansas. In the winter of 1864-65 he made a journey to New Mexico, staying awhile in Santa Fe, and reaching St. Louis on his return, May 1st. His last ministry was in Southern Illinois. He was fatally injured by a fall from his horse, May 1st, 1871, at Bluffdale. He soon became unconscious, and died on Thursday, May 4. He was buried with Masonic services, honored by the attendance of a vast multitude who knew him in life and grieved at his sudden departure. An appropriate sermon was preached by his sympathizing friend and brother, Rev. John Hughes, of Table Grove, Ill.

As the result of his ministry, believers have been multiplied, numerous societies formed and strengthened, and four Church Edifices stand as enduring monuments of his efficiency and faithfulness. He leaves a wife, four sons and one daughter to mourn his loss. Of the family, Mrs. Carney,—now residing in Whitehall, Ill.,—writes: "Of his nine children, four have preceded him to heaven and five are left to do life's work below. It had been his wish to educate them all at Lombard University. We trust this wish will yet be carried out."

Rev. W. B. Cook. This faithful and devoted servant of Christ died in Muskegon, Michigan, June 5, 1871, in the sixty-first year of his age. He was born in Marcellus, (Onondaga Co.) N. Y., December 8, 1810. He entered the ministry in 1843, and was ordained in 1846. From his first entrance into the ministry to the year of his death he consecrated all his energies to his sacred calling. Among the places where he preached statedly at different times were Mottville, Alexander, Lockport, Gaines, Churchville, Newburg, and Aurora, in the State of New York. In 1866 he went to Michigan and remained there until his death. In all places where he preached he left the odor of a good name. In the controversies in which he was sometimes engaged with the enemies of Universalism he ever exhibited the manners of a gentleman and the spirit of a Christian. He contended earnestly for the faith, but from a love of truth rather than the pleasure of victory. He sought to live peaceably with all men. He was neither the victim of envy nor of pride. He appreciated talents superior to his own, but despised not the humblest effort. His last sickness was painful and protracted, yet no complaint or murmur escaped his lips, no irreverent thought agitated his soul.

In reviewing his ministry, at a time when conscious that be was near his end, he said to his brother, (Rev. T. D. Cook), with great solemnity: "It is marked with some failures, but on the whole I regard it a success. I feel that I have comforted some sorrowful souls, and strengthened some that were ready to falter in the race set before them." He possessed a rare faculty for speaking to the sorrowing and comforting the afflicted. His sympathies were active and tender. When brought into communion with the bereaved he apprehended their wants with such accuracy that at such times he seemed to be inspired—the very incarnation of the comforter.

His mss. he confided to the care of his son-in-law, Rev. M. B. Carpenter, of Lansing, Mich.

Soon after he was taken down with his last illness, being convinced that his hour was come, he made all necessary arrangements for his funeral, requested the Masonic Fraternity, to which he belonged, to have charge of it, and desired that the sanctuary should not be draped in black on that occasion, but that it should be decorated with flowers. To his wife, then prostrated by sickness and over-exertion, and to his children, he expressed himself with a husband's and a father's affection, and commended them to the care of their heavenly guardian and benefactor; and to some friends to whom he was under peculiar obligations he expressed the gratitude of a full heart. To his brother he said: "O brother, I have preached for the last few years the glories of eternity, as they have appeared to my faith, with more earnestness and unction than ever before during my ministry." "And how do all these things appear to you now, as you feel yourself in the presence of death"? it was asked. "Brighter than ever; aye, brighter than ever!" was the prompt and energetic response. At another time, he said: "If, as ministers of Christ, we would bring within the sweep of our vision of faith all the glories of the future life, as they now appear to me, and preach them in the demonstration of the spirit, we should turn the world upside down. We should have no drowsy hearers, and no drones in the pulpit."

In this triumphant and blessed frame of mind he passed to his eternal rest; and by his faith "he being dead yet speaketh."

Rev. William W. Olds. He was born in Plattsburg, Steuben Co., N.Y., November 27th, 1831, and died in Williamston, Mich., on Saturday, June 17th, 1871, being in the 40th year of his age. His disease was consumption. His parents moved to Farmington, Oakland County, Michigan, when he was about three years old. How long he lived there we are not informed, but probably not many years, as he states that he subsequently lived in Hartland, Howell and Conway, in Livingston Co., and afterwards in Portland and Lansing. He probably lived in the last named place at two different times as it appears that during his stay in Lansing he had been connected with both the Baptist and Methodist Churches. He became a communicant in the Universalist church during his stay in Portland. In his youth and early manhood he was employed as a stage-driver, during which period he became deeply interested in the subject of religion. In the Methodist Church he preached occasionally, but being tenderly interested in the welfare of souls he unconsciously came into the views of Universalists, which he hesitated not to proclaim openly, as soon as he was fully established in them; which, of course, caused a separation from that church and a union with ours. This probably took place in the year 1859, as, at a meeting of the Grand River Association for that year, he was reported as having preached to the Society at Locke for 18 months. He was ordained in July, 1861. He was married in January, 1862, to Miss Ada Lewis who proved an excellent, co-worker with him all along his ministerial life. September 9th, 1862, he enlisted as a private soldier in Company D, 4th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry, from Conway, Livingston Co., and on the 9th of June, 1865 he was honorably discharged from the service. His regiment formed a part of the Army of the Potomac. He was promoted to the office of Sergeant and was highly esteemed while in the service, both for his soldierly and Christian qualities. While in the army he was religiously active, forming religious associations among the "boys" for their moral and spiritual culture. On leaving the army he again resumed his ministerial work, and continued to labor unremittingly until death.

Mr. Olds was not a thoroughly educated man, as the reader may infer from what has been said, but he made the best use of his opportunities, was a diligent student, and an ardent advocate of education and of everything that can advance and bless mankind. He was a stirring and energetic preacher, thoroughly devoted to his work as a minister of the Gospel, and especially earnest in urging upon believers the importance of bringing forth the practical fruits of their religious faith.

During the last stages of his sickness he was frequently interrogated by his partialist friends to know if his faith yet satisfied him; so he had placed on the wall, back of his bed, one of his Sabbath School banners, with the inscription: "Universalism now and Universalism forever!" to which when too weak to talk he would refer them. Having arranged all his affairs in minute detail for his departure he finally slept in Jesus, and his earthly struggle was ended as his soul rose to join the bright company in the home above.

Rev. Charles E. Sawyer. This young brother was drowned, together with his wife and wife's Father, Mr. Sylvanus Cushing, of Abington, Mass., while attempting to ford the Connecticut River, opposite Claremont, June 28th, 1871. He was 27 years of age, a graduate of Canton Theological School of the Class of 1870, and son of Rev. J. C. Sawyer, of De Witt, Michigan. He commenced his ministry in Abington, Mass., where he was ordained October 5, 1870. He assumed the office of pastor of the Universalist Church in Claremont, N.H., on the first Sunday in May, 1871, and two weeks afterwards was married to Miss Cushing, of Abington, Mass. In the short time be had been in Claremont he had made a most favorable impression upon his congregation and the people of the town as a scholarly and Christian gentleman. His wife was amiable, intelligent and accomplished. Her father being with them on a visit, they rode over the river into Weathersfield, Vt., and were returning home about noon of June 28th, when, as is supposed, they mistook the ferry for a ford, and attempting to drive across they came unexpectedly to a steep shelving bank where the channel became suddenly deep, they drove off and all were drowned. Their bodies were recovered about 4 o'clock the same day. This most melancholy and shocking casualty filled the Claremont parish and the whole neighborhood with consternation, and sent a thrill of agony through many a heart. Alas for the survivors of their respective families, so heavily afflicted by a threefold bereavement, and in so sudden and strange a manner.

Their remains were taken to Abington, Mr. Cushing's home, where funeral services were held June 30th, conducted by Rev. A. St. J. Chambre of Stoughton, Rev. J. Crehore, Mr. Cushing's former pastor, and Rev. Mr. Burpee late pastor of the 1st Congregational Church in Abington. It was one of the saddest and most impressive of funerals. Bridegroom and bride, and the bride's father, swept off in a moment, in the fullness of their health and strength, and in the vigor of life, the youngest of the three being but 20 and the oldest but 51 years of age. So the laborers, in the Gospel Vineyard, our companions in life's journey, are stricken down in the midst of their days. But we are comforted in all our tribulations by the Gospel of God's impartial grace. We are content to know that our Father rules in infinite wisdom over all, that nothing can separate us from His love, that nothing can disappoint Him or thwart His beneficent will.

Rev. Daniel Rose. Mr. Rose died of consumption, at his residence, near Annapolis, (Parke Co.) Indiana, July 9, 1871, in the forty-fourth year of his age. He had been suffering from disease for some time, and for two years had been entirely unable to preach. He was ordained a Universalist preacher, we are told, in Iowa, May 24, 1851, and licensed by the Convention of that State at its annual meeting in 1852. His labors since that time have been mostly in that State and in Illinois, a few years only having been spent in Indiana, in and near the neighborhood where he finished his days. He loved to preach the Gospel, thinking more of its proclamation than the compensation he should receive. He was a clear thinker, a good reasoner, and an excellent textual preacher, being thoroughly conversant with King James's version of the Bible, as well as the different renderings of disputed passages. He died as he had lived, in unshaken faith in God, and the final triumph of good, making all the needful arrangements for his funeral, indicating the text for his funeral discourse, and the minister to preach it. He left a noble wife and five children to mourn the loss of an affectionate husband and father.

Rev. Asa P. Cleverley. This good man died in Boston, July 22, 1871, aged 64 years and 4 months. He was born in North Weymouth, Mass., March 22, 1807. He was married, May 15, 1831, to Miss Rebecca W. Cleverley, of Bingham, Mass. He fitted for the ministry under the direction of Rev. Sylvanus Cobb, having previously spent some time in study at Phillips' Academy, Andover, Mass. He was ordained to the Gospel ministry in 1834, and first settled in Provincetown, then in Chatham, Mass., then in Nashua, N.H., and then in New Ipswich, N.H. His health failing, he removed to Boston, and preached regularly for a period in Canton, afterwards in Chelsea, and then in North Bridgewater, Mass. His strength not being equal to the work, he was at length obliged to relinquish entirely the active duties of the ministry. Nine weeks before his death he had a shock of paralysis. From that time to the close of his life he was thoroughly aware of his condition, and prepared for his end. He was able to converse with his physician, his wife, and the other friends who were ministering to him. His resignation to the will of God was remarkable. He was sustained by the faith which be had in years gone by held forth to others as the satisfactory and sufficient faith, and his dying was as one gently and calmly falling to sleep.

These are but the merest outlines of a good man's life. We say a good man, not as a matter of form and routine, but because he was such emphatically. He was diffident, modest, unpretending, and did not get the wide recognition of some men, but the influence of his character was pure, and the best results of faithful Christian service are found in every parish in which be labored. The clergymen who have followed him in his several fields of labor have had cause to speak in praise of his good works and of his excellent spirit.

His funeral took place July 25, first at his late residence in Boston, and lastly in Weymouth, where his remains were laid with kindred dust.

Rev. Carl Schaum. Mr. Schaum died at his residence in Kingston, N. J., August 1st. 1871. Retiring at the usual hour, in apparently good health, his waking was in that eternal world where there is no night. While calmly sleeping, and without a struggle, he passed on into the Father's house. His disease was probably apoplexy.

Mr. Schaum was a native of Germany, and received his education in the Universities of his native country. For several years he has been identified in form, as he was in faith and sympathy, with the Universalist Church. For a time he preached regularly to a small German Society in East New York. After leaving it he removed to Kingston, N. J., devoting his week days to the culture of some land, and on Sundays preaching, as he had opportunity, to German communities in the neighborhood. Measures had been taken by the Missionary Society of the Philadelphia Union Association to give him constant employment as a missionary among the German people of Southern Pennsylvania. He had entered recently upon this work, and the impression he made among the friends whom he visited was most favorable, and much benefit was anticipated from his labors, to those who could understand him, and with whom he could sympathize in that section. His sudden death leaves an interesting field of labor vacant.

Mr. Schaum was somewhat advanced in life, but of his exact age we are not informed. He is spoken of by those who knew him as a genial, pure-minded, kind-hearted, christian man, who was sincerely desirous of advancing the cause of Christianity, as understood by us, among the German people of this country.

He leaves a family, but we are unable to give any particulars concerning it.

Rev. A. W. Bruce. Mr. Bruce died, very suddenly, on Saturday, August 19, 1871, while in attendance on the annual meeting of the Upper Wabash Association, at Woodville, near Logansport, Indiana. He left his home in Lafayette, Ind., only the day before, in the best of spirits, and in his usual good health. He attended the business meeting during the day, and did not complain of any illness until at the time of the evening service, when he was taken with congestion of the stomach and bowels, and was quite sick during the night. The next morning he felt so much better that be got out of bed and dressed himself, and gave some advice in respect to the business of the Association. But soon after his friends, who had been in consultation with him, had left him for the morning services at the Church, they were summoned back to the house, but not in season to see him alive, for at 10 1/2 o'clock, in a moment when no one was looking for any such thing, he passed away quietly and without pain.

Mr. Bruce was born in Bennington, Vt., in the year 1812, making him about 59 at the time of his decease. His parents were Methodists of the strictest sort, and in their faith he was early taught and trained; but when about eighteen years old, he began to read and investigate for himself on doctrinal points, and soon reached the conclusions that he has stood by ever since. In his early manhood he studied medicine, and practised a short time, and then entered the ministry. He had been well and widely known in the Denomination as a consecrated and indefatigable worker, who, by his persevering and self-denying efforts, has done much to give tone and shape to our Denominational affairs. He was ordained, August 13, 1843. He has had settlements in some of the Eastern States, also in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, and in all he was "a man of good report." In Lafayette, the place of his residence and labor at the time of his death, he had wrought faithfully and effectually, and endeared himself not only to Universalists but to people of all denominations. Our church at Lafayette is largely the result of his fidelity, and the fact that he had entered upon the fourth year of his pastorate with brighter prospects than ever, indicates the strong hold he had upon his people.

Upon the occasion of his death, after numerous and persistent but unavailing efforts to secure the service of a Universalist minister at the funeral, it was conducted by resident clergymen of the Methodist and Baptist Churches in Lafayette, and in a very appropriate, impressive and acceptable manner. His remains were escorted to the church and cemetery by a procession of Masonic, Odd Fellow and Temperance Societies, and at the grave the several orders opened their ranks to permit the Sunday School children (of whom he was so proud and who so loved their pastor) and the congregation to pass through to witness the last sad rites paid to the remains of their beloved shepherd.

He leaves a wife and daughter in Lafayette, and two daughters by a former marriage, who reside in the East.

Rev. Nathaniel Gunnison. Mr. Gunnison was born in Goshen, Sullivan County, N.H., February 4, 1811, and died very suddenly at West Waterville, Me., on Friday, August 25, 1871, in the sixty-first year of his age. His father and mother died before his remembrance, and he had severe struggles, caused by ill health and poverty, in his early life. In 1834 he married Miss Sarah Ann Richardson, daughter of D. Richardson, of Goshen. In 1836 his wife died, leaving him an infant daughter; and this bereavement it is said, having turned his mind to the Gospel ministry, in Apri1, 1837, he commenced studying, with that object in view, under the direction of Rev. Aaron L. Balch, of Newport, N.H. His first settlement was on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts, where, in the Fall of 1837, he commenced preaching to the Societies in Brewster, and North and South Dennis. Nov. 15, 1837, he was ordained. On the 12th of August, 1838, he was married to Miss A. L. Foster, of Brewster, who has proved a most faithful companion in all the relations of life to the hour of his death. In the spring of 1839 he became a teacher in the Academy in Provincetown, Mass., where he was also engaged to preach for one-half of the time. Thence, in March 1840, he removed to Manchester, N.H., and in the following year, to Hallowell, Me., where he continued as pastor four years, and afterwards for five years, (still residing in Hallowell), he preached in Sidney, West Waterville, East Vassalboro, Winthrop, and other towns in the vicinity. In April, 1850, he removed to Abington, Mass., and took charge of the Universalist Society there for several years. From 1855 to 1857 he resided in Annisquam, Mass. From 1857 to 1865 he lived in Halifax, N.S., and his ministry there was very successful. It commenced and continued through a season of general financial prosperity in the Province. The Reciprocity Treaty with the United States proving of great advantage to the Provincials, the Society in Halifax shared in the general prosperity, gained numerically, and otherwise advanced under Mr. Gunnison's labors.

He was quite polemical in his preaching. At one period the Bishop of the English Church assailed him, and not having a correct knowledge of our doctrines, laid himself open to many a home thrust from Mr. G's well-wielded sword. The controversy was greatly extended, and was both oral and written. The result was that the Episcopal Church lost ground in the controversy, lost members, and the Universalist Church gained a corresponding increase.

The Meeting House was enlarged, a new organ was purchased, and the finances of the Society placed in a hopeful condition. The civil war in our country broke out toward the close of Mr. G's pastorate. Halifax was entirely in sympathy with the South; Mr. G. stood almost alone in his defence of the North, and gave offence to some of the leading members or the Society, by his active exertions for the North, while acting in his capacity as Deputy Consul of the United States. This state or feeling led Mr. Gunnison to resign his charge. In 1865 he removed to Norway, Me., and in 1869 to Dexter, Me., and in both places he was an efficient minister. In Dexter the Society was resuscitated, and their Meeting House rebuilt during his pastorate.

In the Fall of 1870 he had several shocks of paralysis which disabled him for service. After resting for a while and partially recovering his health, he sought for a situation where less severe labor would be required of him, and removed to West Waterville, in the early summer of 1871, and was laboring there when the summons came to put off his armor and lay down in the sleep of death. But his ambition and ardor far exceeded his bodily strength. On the Sunday before his death he preached twice—in West Waterville in the morning, and in Sidney, five miles away, in the afternoon,—so that he truly died with the harness on. He was of a sanguine temperament, of decided and positive convictions, ardent and impulsive in his feelings, and an earnest and indefatigable worker.

He leaves a wife and five children, one of them being Rev. Almon Gunnison, of Brooklyn, N. Y. His funeral took place on the 25th of August, in West Waterville, but his remains were taken for interment to Abington, Mass., where, also, funeral services were held on the 26th of August. In every place where he has labored, in a ministry of thirty-four years, he left numerous friends, and gave powerful impetus to the cause of truth.

Rev. David Bowsman. The only intelligence concerning Mr. Bowsman which we have been able to obtain comes from a Committee on Memorials of the Indiana Convention for 1871, who say that "for many years past the venerable form of David Bowsman has been familiar to the members of our State Conventions. His gentle manners; zealous spirit and upright conduct have marked him as an honorable example of the Universalist Christian. We feel that in his death this Convention has lost a faithful officer, and the church a good man." His office, his age, his period of service in the ministry, and many other particulars which we should be glad to know, are passed over in silence.

Mrs. Elvira J. Powers. Mrs. Powers, late of the Canton Theological School, and a Licentiate of the New York State Convention, died in Worcester, Mass., September 21, 1871. We learn that she rendered good service to her country during the war of the Rebellion, in the office of nurse, and wrote an interesting book of her experiences, entitled "Hospital Pencilings." In 1866 she began to read Theology with the purpose of becoming a preacher of the Gospel, and entered the Canton Theological School, but was compelled by ill health to leave the school at the end of six months, and gradually failed from that time onward. A friend and former pastor, speaks of her personal worth in very strong terms. "In fidelity to her conviction of duty, in her industry, zeal and integrity, in her constant sacrifice of the superficial and temporal for the profound and eternal, her life was a great success. Highly esteemed by those who knew her best, believing there is abundance of labor and of blessing for her beyond, we will not deplore her.

Rev. J. T. Goodrich. This brother, it would appear, must have perished in the Great Fire of Chicago, October 7-9, 1871. It is known that he was to be in Chicago about the time the conflagration occurred,—he being engaged in business connected with the Chenango Silver Mining Company of Colorado. It was subsequently ascertained that he was staying at the time at the Metropolitan Hotel, (which was burnt) that his name was on the register and his bill unsettled. As he has not been seen nor heard from since, his fate can not be doubtful and his greatly afflicted family are forced to the dreadful conclusion that he was carried to heaven in a chariot of fire. We are without particulars of Mr. Goodrich's history, excepting that he had once been pastor of the Universalist Church in Oxford, N.Y., and that more recently he has lived in Wilmington, Delaware.

Main Page  |  About the Project  |  Contact Us  |  Fair Use Policy

All material copyright Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society (UUHHS) 1999-2020
Links to third-party sites are provided solely as a convenience. DUUB does not endorse materials on other sites.

CREDIT LINE: From the biography of _______ written by ________ in
the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography, an on-line resource of the Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society.