Index by Last Name
+ index is incomplete
Back to Dictionary

+ Digitized Directories
+ 1846-1922 Unitarian
+ 1840-1920 Universalist

Obituaries (1872-73) in the 1874 Register

Rev. William Young Emmet was born in Augusta County, Va., July 17, 1798, and died in Springfield (Clark Co.), Ohio, January 2, 1873. His father (for fifty years a Methodist preacher) was born in Emmetsburg, Pa. His father's father, born in Ireland, was of the family of Robert Emmet, the distinguished patriot, and on coming to America became the proprietor of Emmetsburg. The subject of this notice, at the age of eight, went with his family to Ohio, where he spent the larger part of his life. Having been educated in the faith of his father, he at one time contemplated entering the Methodist Ministry; but came at length to abandon, not only the creed in which he had been brought up, but all faith in Divine Revelation. However, this skeptical state did not long continue. Emerging from the darkness and doubt into which he had been thrown, he found anchorage and abiding comfort in the Universalist faith, and entered with zeal upon its promulgation. In that faith and work he continued steadfast for the remainder of his days. His labors were confined chiefly to Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. He lived in a period marked by controversy, when the opposition to Universalism was very decided and often bitter, when the Universalist doctrine could not be preached nor avowed without exciting angry commotion in the community. Mr. Emmet was a pioneer in our cause. He participated during his ministry in no fewer than thirteen public discussions, and always bore himself with Christian courtesy and came off with credit to himself and advantage to the cause he espoused. His moral worth and his fidelity to the cause of his Master were always above suspicion and such as to command respect. He gloried in his work as a preacher of the Gospel, and counted not his life dear to him if he could promote the knowledge of the truth as it is in Christ. He lived to see Universalism greatly advanced from what it was when he began his ministry, to see violent controversy give way to a more tolerant and charitable spirit, to see on every side evidences of the steady progress of the truth to which he had given his best efforts and untiring support. His widow (formerly Miss Rachel Pomeroy) survives him, but no children; a son and daughter having passed over the river before him.

Bro. James M. Simpson died of consumption at Kirkersville, Ohio, February 9, 1873, in his twenty-third year. He had joined the "Christian Disciples," so called, by a public profession of his religious faith, about five years previous to his death, and soon after that time commenced preaching in that connection; but in the beginning of the year 1870, under the preaching of Rev. B. F. Foster, he experienced an enlargement of his faith and soon afterwards commenced preaching the Gospel of a full salvation. In this faith his mind and heart found rest and complete satisfaction. His friends testify to his exemplary character and his fidelity as a Christian minister. He was licensed to preach in 1871, but had not been ordained when he was stricken by incurable disease and the promise of his youth blighted by an early death.

Rev. M. N. Byington died at Baton Rouge, La., in February, 1873. Concerning Mr. Byington, whose name had by some means been dropped out of the Register of late years, we have but few particulars to give. He appears to have entered upon the work of the ministry as early as 1843, in Cincinnati, Ohio, or in that vicinity. About the year 1848 be began to labor at what was known as the Baker and Miller's settlement, near Oxford, Ohio. He preached also at one time at Liberty and Fairfield, Ind., and was well and widely known in other Western States as an earnest and zealous preacher of the Great Salvation.

Rev. Joseph Baker, a native of Concord, N. H., died suddenly of apoplexy, February 20, 1873, at the North Western Branch of the National Asylum for disabled soldiers at Milwaukee, Wis. Until the age of thirty-four, Mr. Baker was employed for the must part in a woolen mill, and had little opportunity for mental culture. At the age above-mentioned, however, his attention was called specially to the Christian Ministry, and be was duly admitted to the fellowship of the Universalist Denomination. He was first engaged to preach at Swanton Falls and Alburgh, Vt., in the years 1836-1839; after which period he went to Jeffersonville, in the town of Cambridge, Vt., where he remained about three years. In 1843 he removed to St. Albans, living there till 1851, when he went to Janesville, Wis., and lived there till 1855. In the Register for 1857 he is said to have suspended his labors; yet, in 1858 and 1859, his name again appears, with his residence at Oskaloosa, Iowa. When the Janesville (Wis.) Free Press was started he became its editor. He was at one time editor of a newspaper at Delavan, and again editor of a newspaper at Albany, in the same State. On the breaking out of the war of the rebellion he enlisted in the 13th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, and to the utmost of his ability did a soldier's and a patriot's duty, for the most part in the hospital department. He returned from the service with greatly impaired health, his mind suffering with his body, and be sought refuge. in the Soldiers' Home in Milwaukee, entering that asylum for the last time December 31, 1872. In his earlier years he possessed considerable ability and made his influence felt in the community. We believe that his integrity and purity of character were never called in question.

Rev. George Hastings, the son of Eliphalet and Dorothy (Temple) Hastings, was born in Waltham, Mass., October 9, 1812, and died there, of pneumonia, March 6, 1873, after an illness of only five days. Although he had some years ago withdrawn from the ministry, yet the purity of his life and his long term of faithful pastoral service entitle him to a place in our necrology. He studied for the ministry with Rev. Sylvanus Cobb, then of Malden, Mass. His first engagement as a preacher was at Norwich, Vt. In 1836 he removed to Hyannis, Mass., where, on the 23d of November, he was duly installed in the pastoral office. In 1840 he removed to Swanzey, Mass., and soon after to West Dennis, where he lived about three years. In 1844 he went to Georgetown, Mass., and remained four years. In 1848 he went to Lowell; in 1853 to Roxbury; in 1857 to Waltham, his native town, where he abode the remainder of his days. After 1862 his name was dropped from the roll of preachers, yet he afterwards occasionally preached. His father was an ironsmith, and George, in his youth, showed remarkable tact and skill in the working of metals. Often, while in the pastoral office, his skill was called into requisition, and a generous offer was made to induce him to devote his whole attention to the business. The demands of a large family, his own instinctive tastes, and, let us add, the unwise, the suicidal policy of parishes in suffering such unpretending but worthy and faithful preachers as he to want the means of comfortable subsistence, led him to accept the offer. By his industry and skill he built up a good business in the manufacture of watch-hands. His withdrawal from the ministry, however, was a positive and irreparable loss to our cause. As a preacher he was clear, direct, impressive; as a pastor, always faithful. He won the respect of "those that are without," and proved a blessing to our cause in every field where he labored. After retiring from active ministerial work he became a faithful and generous layman, and walked in accordance with his Christian profession. His death was a heavy loss to the Waltham parish, where he spent his latter years, a respected and honored citizen.

Rev. Andrew Gregg died in Galesburg, Ill., March 19, 1873, after a brief illness. He was born in the city of Philadelphia, March 17, 1785. His parents were Quakers. At the age of seven he was left an orphan and went to live in New York City, where he learned the blacksmith's trade, using to the best advantage, in the meantime, his slender opportunities for gaining knowledge. In the war of 1812 he served as a soldier, and in his declining years he drew a pension from the government. In 1840 he removed to Illinois, and about this time lost all faith, not only in the peculiar tenets in which he had been educated, but in Christianity itself. A more careful and thorough study of the Scriptures, however, brought him at length to see in them the light of God's impartial grace and to rejoice therein with exceeding joy. As the result of his new faith and the general quickening of his religious nature, he underwent a marked moral change, broke off the use of ardent spirits, to which he had been addicted, and for the last thirty years of his life he was an acceptable and useful minister of our church, honoring the cause of religion by word and deed.

Rev. Franklin Samuel Bliss, the son of Samuel and Polly Bliss, was born September 30, 1828, in Cheshire, Mass., and died March 23, 1873, in Greensborough, N. C., whither he had gone for the benefit of his health. At the age of ten he removed with his family to Lanesborough Mass., where two years after his mother died. He had the canker-rash when eight years old and the humors settled in his eyes, so that for three years he was blind, or nearly so; and when he began to regain his sight, his hearing became impaired. At the age of sixteen he found he could see by using very old glasses, and after that studied almost incessantly. The summer he was sixteen he had the typhus fever, and the summer following another fever, and so the foundation was laid for the infirmities which attended him ever after. He became a Universalist while on a sick-bed, but did not avow his sentiments till some time afterwards. His father favored Universalism, but was an intimate friend of the Episcopal minister of his town, and took his children to the Episcopal church. Bro. Bliss's own mother was a Calvinist Baptist and his stepmother a Congregationalist, and all the family strongly opposed his entering the ministry; but they all afterwards became proud of his success and reputation as a Gospel minister. Receiving his early schooling in his own town, he taught school, not only in the neighborhood of his home, but also one winter in Virginia and one in New Jersey. In March, 1853, at the age or twenty-five, he entered the Liberal Institute at South Woodstock, Vt. (then under the charge of Rev. J. S. Lee), at which time he was described as a pale-faced, feeble-looking, young man, but with a firm will, a settled purpose to do the most and the best that was possible under the circumstances. His decision of character, his concentration of purpose and love for the work of his chosen profession overcame all impediments, compensated for lack of health, and rendered him eminently successful and useful as a Gospel minister. His first sermon was delivered in West Windsor, Vt., in the winter of 1853-4. In January, 1855, he was ordained at Enfield, N. H., to which place he had removed the preceding spring, and where he labored for two years. He was married March 5, 1857, in Springfield, N. H., to Mrs. Nancy B. Spaulding, and soon afterwards removed to Barre, Vt., where he labored for fifteen years with exemplary fidelity and abundant success. He was not distinguished as a scholar, an orator or logician, but he was eminently conscientious, diligent and devout, ever faithful in the discharge of his duty, and his power was the result of his clear spiritual insight, his strong religious convictions and his uncompromising fidelity to his trust. Here was the source of his wide and lasting influence in his parish and through the community. In his disposition and manners he was amiable and obliging, in dealing with his parishioners and with his brethren in the ministry he was kind and affectionate, but never forgot the purity and dignity which best become the Christian minister.

In the winter of 1871 he sought release from pastoral labor and care, but his parish were unwilling to give him up, though he had a vacation and made a visit to New Jersey and West Virginia for the restoration of his failing health. The year following, being attacked with hemorrhage of the lungs, he was forced to leave his parish. He went to New York City to try the climate there, with change of scene and relief from care and labor, from which place he wrote us, October 15, 1872, as follows: I think my health is slowly improving. I am not able to study much, but I am beginning to preach a little. I hope to be able to resume my labors in full and take pastoral charge of some society next spring. This hope proved to be illusory, for going on southward as far as North Carolina he rapidly and steadily declined, and death ensued shortly after.

The record of his life is not long but highly honorable. In 1868 he published a volume of sermons to the young, entitled, "Steps in the pathway from youth to heaven," which met with a ready sale and was well calculated to do good by inculcating correct principles and nourishing devotional sentiments. Mr. Bliss's life exemplifies the value of unity of aim and steadfastness of purpose, and is a standing rebuke of vacillation and time-serving, and also a standing encouragement to every man to do well and thoroughly whatsoever he undertakes. It should, however, be borne in mind that he won distinction not by consciously seeking for it, but simply by an unselfish and conscientious devotion to duty. We knew him well from 1864 to 1869, and can testify from personal knowledge that his influence was most salutary in all the region round about in stemming the tide of lawless radicalism and rationalism which seemed in those years to be setting in like a flood upon our Vermont parishes, relaxing men's faith in the divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ, loosening their hold upon him as a personal Savior and lowering the tone and standard of their piety and devotion. One who knew him well writes thus: "He always adorned his profession, and his spiritual life grew stronger and stronger as his flesh grew weak and wasted away. I wish you could have witnessed his last days and his beautiful death. It was glorious." This was natural for a man so thoroughly imbued with the spirit of the religion he preached, whose only thought and effort appeared to be to do right, to do good, to serve God and bless his fellow-men. He was a man of faith, of prayer, of great meekness, of stainless integrity, and an utter stranger to envy and jealousy. His life was most beneficial to the cause he served, and his name goes into history as one of our purest and most useful ministers.

Rev. John Elliot Palmer, the Nestor of our clergy, was the son of John and Elizabeth Palmer, and was born in Portsmouth, N. H., February 22, 1783, and died in Waterford, Vt., March 23, 1873, at the age of ninety years and one month. At the age of fourteen he was apprenticed to the printing business in the office of Charles Pierce, of Portsmouth, publisher of the "Oracle of the Day," a paper of large circulation for those times, and here he remained till he was twenty years old. In the meantime he had become a convert to the doctrines of the "Christian Baptists," under the ministrations of the noted Elias Smith, and soon commenced preaching in the fellowship of that sect. He was ordained in 1809. The earlier years of his ministry were spent in Warren, N. H., and Danville, Vt. He removed to Danville in 1806 and lived there thirteen years, having a successful ministry. It is said that at least 150 persons were baptized and joined the church through his influence. It was while living in Danville that he outgrew his early belief in endless punishment, and came to an undoubting faith that God will have all men to be saved. The circumstances attending his conversion to Universalism we give as nearly as possible in his own words, as follows:

"While I was settled at Danville, as a Christian Baptist, a very respectable young man, who had never been converted, belonging to one of the best families in my society, went out on a fishing excursion and was drowned. I heard the sad news soon after it reached the village, producing general sympathy, mourning and lamentation. I knew I should be sent for to preach his funeral sermon, and that I was powerless to comfort the bereaved family under the circumstances, and at the same time be true to my faith in the doctrine of endless misery which I had believed and preached up to that time. I was greatly distressed: I compared my situation with that of the apostles who were comforted in all their tribulation that they might be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith they themselves were comforted of God; and I found my condition very unlike that of Paul and his co-laborers-that the doctrine which I had preached was far from comforting myself when applied to the destiny of that young brother, whose moral character was above reproach, and that I was wholly unable to comfort his bereaved friends by preaching to them a doctrine which did not comfort me. I never slept a wink that night. I walked the house, I read my Bible, prayed for light, and I never preached the doctrine of endless misery again."

In 1819, Mr. Palmer was called to the charge of the Universalist Society in Barre, Vt., where he labored for 18 years, scattering the seed of truth over a wide region, for he was an indefatigable missionary all through his life. On leaving Barre, he lived two years in Waitsfield, Vt., and then gave himself to missionary work in northern Vermont and New Hampshire. We have a vivid and grateful remembrance of his preaching in Piermont, N. H., and Bradford, Vt., in the years 1830-1833, and can vouch for the devout, evangelical spirit of his services, the logic of his sermons, the perspicuity of his style, his fluency of speech, the impressiveness of his delivery. He spoke always extemporaneously, but his discourses were always coherent, sound and clear. There was an evident sincerity and earnestness in the man that attracted the hearer's attention, and there was a natural tremulousness to his voice that gave a peculiar pathos to his discourses. There were in his words a certain indefinable grace and force which are the gift of God and not communicable by art or learning. We have heard many preachers, of more science and a wider fame, since then, but never have we heard his superior for clearness of exposition of religious truth or pungency of application in pressing truth home and making it practically felt. He was a sound theologian, a logical thinker, not carried away by the ultra-liberal tendencies of the age, as so many others have been. He was a man of deep religious feeling. He lived near to God, cherishing habitually a profound sense of dependence on him, and this became a ruling sentiment in his heart and life, giving tone and coloring to his public ministrations. Though he had very decided opinions, yet he was the soul of candor and forbearance in his treatment of "those of the contrary part." In a letter to us, written in 1870, he bewailed the liberalism which had eaten away the religious life of so many societies, and said: "We have tampered with skepticism and what is falsely called spiritualism greatly to the retarding of Christian Universalism. It will require much Gospel labor to counteract the pernicious effects produced by the Banner of Light and A. J. Davis's books in this section." He wanted our preachers and our periodicals to give no uncertain sound.

The good old man has gone to his rest, leaving an influence for good with the many souls whom he has helped to emancipate from error and lift to a higher plane of spiritual life. He died poor, leaving the world greatly his debtor. He always refused to put a just estimate on his services, being content to take as a charity what the people were disposed to give him for his labors. He was twice married: first to Miss Betsey Kimball in 1805; the second time, in 1853, to Miss Mary Hemenway, who survives him. He had nine children, four of whom are yet living.

Rev. Jonathan Wallace, M.D., was born in Peterboro', N. H., March 20, 1784, and died in Potsdam, N. Y., April 6, 1873. He was of Scotch descent. With his father, Matthew Wallace, he went to Berlin, Vt., in 1795, where he received a good common-school education, and for several years was engaged in teaching. He was naturally studious, a close, original thinker, and very tenacious of his opinions. In early manhood he studied medicine, and for a while practiced as a physician, and so got the title of "doctor" by which he was familiarly designated by his friends in after-years. He soon abandoned the healing art, however, after his attention had been turned to religious subjects, and embraced with enthusiasm the Universalist doctrine, which, it is said, he always held and preached on the ground of "the vicarious atonement" of Jesus Christ, in accordance with the theory of ReIly; though he did not accept the doctrine of the Trinity, nor the supreme Deity of Christ, but regarded him as properly the Son of God. He commenced preaching in 1815, laboring for the most part in Richmond, Williston, Jericho, and other towns in that part of Vermont. In March, 1820, he was married to Miss Lucy Brownson, daughter of Judge Brownson of Richmond. In the winter of 1822-3 he moved to Potsdam, N. Y., where for several years he stood almost alone as a. preacher of Universalism, his circuit reaching from Ogdensburg on the west as far as Chateaugay on the east, and preaching more or less in Potsdam, Canton, Madrid, Pierrepont, Hopkinton, Malone, Bangor, and other places in that region. He was pastor in Potsdam over twenty years. In 1837 he commenced, in Potsdam, the publication of a semi-monthly Universalist paper, but at the end of six months, as it did not pay expenses, the subscription list was transferred to the Evangelical Magazine and Gospel Advocate, at Utica, and for a time he was an associate editor of that paper. In 1828, he went to Boston to be treated for epilepsy, to which he had long been subject, remaining there about a year, and preaching in the meanwhile for Rev. Paul Dean in the Bulfinch Street Church. After the death of his wife, which took place some half dozen years ago, he lived with his son in Potsdam, where he died at the time above mentioned.

Dr. Wallace left many MSS. behind him. Besides sermons, there is a volume of miscellany in prose and verse, written in 1811; also a volume of original hymns (402 in number) designed for use in public worship. Among them are many good hymns, a few of which have appeared in print, as for example the 12th, 273d and 437th in Streeter's Collection. For the last 20 years Dr. Wallace has preached but seldom on account of feeble health. From early manhood he had been subject to a falling sickness, which would sometimes come upon him in the pulpit, but he would generally quickly recover himself and resume the thread of his discourse at the precise point where he dropped it.

Quite a number of preachers prepared themselves for their work under his guidance, and they bear testimony to the native strength of his intellect, the earnestness and firmness of his religious convictions and the excellence of his heart.

Rev. George R. Brown was born in Watertown, N. Y., Oct. 6th, 1806, and died in Toledo, Ohio, May 9th, 1873. In May, 1823, he went with his parents to live in Peru, (Huron Co.) Ohio. The next few years he divided his time between farm work in summer and attendance on the district school in winter. Whether he had gained any know1edge of Universalism before removing to Ohio, or imbibed it from the ministry of Rev. Truman Strong, of blessed memory, we are not informed; neither do we know when he commenced preaching. He appears to have been ordained in 1837. He is remembered by those who knew him in his early years as a boy of a thoughtful and studious turn of mind, fond of reading the Bible, and evincing, with the lapse of years, a growing interest in our distinctive doctrines. It was said of him, by one who had known him from his youth up, "No man or men ever made a minister of George R. Brown, he just studied and grew to be a minister." His principal field of labor was in Northern Ohio and Indiana and Southern Michigan, though he was by no means confined within these limits, but even beyond the Mississippi his voice was heard, and he was from the first a popular preacher and his services always in demand. He labored as a pioneer, and in school-houses, barns, private dwellings and groves, wherever an opportunity was offered, dispensed the word of life. He was mighty in the Scriptures, and though not distinguished as an organizer has left the impress of his thought and life wherever he labored. He encountered strong opposition in his day, was led into frequent public discussions, and by his familiarity with the Scriptures, his quickness of perception, his good temper and evident sincerity, the good cause was always safe in his hands. In his earlier ministry he had a voice of remarkable sweetness and flexibility and would sing at the opening and close of his services with thrilling effect so as to charm his hearers. He had a special gift as counselor and comforter of the afflicted. He was a firm and zealous advocate of the Temperance reform. His life was above reproach and his death universally lamented.

On the 27th of April, he preached as usual in Adrian, Ohio; he was taken sick on the Tuesday following and died on the 9th of May, from inflammation of the brain, his life going out in the darkness of delirium. But no testimony of the dying hour was needed to grace a life so pure and good as his.

He was married in or about the year 1837 at Clyde, Ohio, and there, excepting some short intervals, he ever afterwards lived.

In the funeral which took place at Clyde, May 11th, both the Freemasons and Odd Fellows took part. His wife and four children grown to maturity survive him.

Rev. Emmons Partridge was born June 8th, 1799, in Walpole, Mass., where he lived during his minority, getting such education as the common schools afforded. In 1828 he removed to Providence, R. I., and worked at his trade as a blacksmith. Under the ministrations of Rev. W. S. Balch, then located in that city, he became deeply interested in religion, and commenced the diligent study of the Bible and such other religious books as came in his way. Being blessed with an excellent memory, and a ready and easy flow of language, it is said he could shoe a horse and preach a sermon to the owner at the same time. His faith grew upon him and absorbed his whole being, so that he felt that necessity was laid upon him to preach the gospel of the grace of God to his fellowmen. Accordingly, at about the age of forty, with scanty literary preparation, he left the forge for the pulpit, and became an acceptable and useful preacher. His natural gifts were good, his voice strong and clear, his memory singularly retentive, his heart tender as a child's, and his whole nature genial and sympathetic, making him friends wherever he went. He was thoroughly sincere and conscientious. In 1831 he joined the First Universalist Church in Providence, and became first a teacher in the Sunday School and then its superintendent. In 1836 he removed to Walpole, Mass., and commenced preaching in South Dedham and vicinity. In 1838 he was ordained in Providence as an Evangelist. In 1839 he removed to Watertown, Mass., and. passed six years there of devoted, consecrated labor. In August, 1845, he removed to Provincetown, Mass.; in 1849 to East Boston; in 1851 to Natick; in 1870 returning to Walpole, where he purchased a home and remained till his death. In February, 1873, on the fiftieth anniversary of his marriage, he and his wife were surprised by a visit and many tokens of the good-will and esteem of their friends. For several years Mr. Partridge had been a great sufferer from disease, but he bore all his pain with the utmost patience and composure. He leaves a widow, but his children died before him.

Rev. Elbridge Wellington was born in Lincoln, Mass., April 1, 1801, and died in Alton, Me., September 4th, 1873, after lingering in weakness and suffering almost fourteen years, wholly incapacitated for any kind of labor. At the age of five he met with an accident, the thrusting of a nail into one of his feet, which seriously injured his nervous system, paralyzed his right side and entailed upon him a life of debility, and great suffering through the last fourteen years. When he was ten years old his family removed to East Livermore, Me., where he improved his opportunities for acquiring an education, first at the common school and afterwards for a few terms at an academy, where he fitted himself for teaching. In April, 1829, while teaching school in the city of New York, he decided to enter the Universalist ministry, and was licensed to preach May 26th in that year by the New York and Philadelphia Association. He itinerated awhile in the interior of New York and Western Pennsylvania. In 1831 he returned to Maine and preached in many different places. June 30th of that year he was ordained at Farmington, during a session of the Maine Convention. In 1832 he preached in Norway; in the two years following, in Mason, Wilton and Lyndeboro', N. H.; and then for five years in Stockbridge, Barnard, Rochester and Mendon, Vt. In 1841-2 he labored in New Gloucester, Me.; then for two years in Levant, and after that did missionary work in Aroostook County. Toward the close of 1852 he moved on to a farm in Alton, Me., but was nearly disabled for ministerial work by a bronchial affection. In 1855 he took charge of the boarding-house of Westbrook Seminary, preaching occasionally as he had opportunity, and then removed to Alton again, where he remained until death came to release him from all his pains and cares and infirmities.

His first aim in life was to be a school teacher, but his interest in the gospel of impartial grace grew upon him, and the desire to be a preacher became the settled purpose of his soul, and was carried out through uncommon difficulties and trials. During the long years of his sickness and pain and poverty he bore himself with becoming submission to God's will and with gratitude to the friends who sent him aid and comfort. He was married in 1832 to Miss Mary Ann McKechnie, of Athens, Me., who survives him. They have had several children, all of whom died in infancy. Just before his departure he said to his friends: "I still maintain the same faith which I have so long preached to the world. I see all embraced in the arms of divine love, and believe when the earthly house of this tabernacle is dissolved we shall then enter into a house not made with hands, where we shall meet a ransomed world and praise God throughout a progressive eternity."

Rev. Frederick Stanley Bacon, the son of Horace and Delia (Johnson) Bacon, was born in Middletown, Conn., May 1st, 1831, and died very suddenly of apoplexy in Belfast, Me., Oct. 14, 1873. Mr. Bacon was educated at the High School in Middletown. Some years afterwards he turned his attention to the ministry, entered St. Lawrence University in 1862, and was graduated in 1865. He was ordained at Nunda, N. Y., July 22, 1868, at which time he received the rite of baptism by the hand of Rev. J. H. Hartzell, D.D. Mr. Bacon has had regular settlements at Titusville, Pa., Nunda, N. Y., and Belfast, Me. He supplied the pulpit for a few months, we believe, at Attica, N. Y., before going to Belfast. Mr. Bacon's funeral took place, on the Sunday following his death, at the church in Middletown, Rev. Dr. Hartzell delivering the discourse. The church was crowded by those who knew and loved him, and his funeral, attended by the Masonic fraternity, was one of the largest ever witnessed in that city. There were also appropriate services at Belfast, conducted by Rev. A. H. Sweetser of Rockland.

Mr. Bacon was a man of culture and character; he was a good preacher and a fine elocutionist. He was a lover of aesthetics, and admired beauty in forms of religion as in forms of nature. He was earnest and faithful in his ministry. By his spirit and bearing he conquered prejudice and gained respect. He was always a gentleman. He had a warm heart and made a host of friends wherever he labored. In Middletown, where he was reared and educated, he was universally respected. He was never married. His father died in 1860, his aged mother still lives in Middletown.

Main Page  |  About the Project  |  Contact Us  |  Fair Use Policy

All material copyright Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society (UUHHS) 1999-2020
Links to third-party sites are provided solely as a convenience. DUUB does not endorse materials on other sites.

CREDIT LINE: From the biography of _______ written by ________ in
the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography, an on-line resource of the Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society.