THE UNIVERSALIST REGISTER
Index by Last Name
+ index is incomplete
Back to Dictionary
+ Digitized Directories
+ 1846-1922 Unitarian
+ 1840-1920 Universalist
Obituaries (1873-74) in the 1875 Register
The text below was created using optical character recognition software (OCR) and may contain errors.
Rev. Albert G. Clark was born in Preston (Chenango Co.), N. Y., September 21, 1811. Beside the common schools of his native town, he had no other opportunities for an education than a short attendance at a select school in South Otselic and at an academy in Oxford in the same county. At the age of seventeen he began to teach school and continued to do so for several years. He began to study theology in 1835, with Rev. C. S. Brown, at Upper Lisle, Broome County, and December 28th, 1837, he was ordained. Shortly before his ordination he was married to Miss Mary L. 'Giguette at Upper Lisle, where he lived for some years, engaged chie?y in Missionary work and preaching in churches, school-houses, barns or the open air, as circumstances might require. His ?rst settlement was in Speedsville (Tompkins Co.), where he lived several years, removing from thence, in 1840, to McLean, in the same county; then, in 1851, to Beaver Dam, in Schuyler County, where he bought a house, living here in his own home till 1856 ; then for four years in Branchport; then for a year or so in McLean again; and in October, 1861, being worn down by his severe labors in the Missionary ?eld, he removed to De Ruyter and there he remained till his death, which took place November 28, 1873, in his sixty-second year, leaving a wife and one son. Mr. Clark’s record was an honorable one, as his intimate friends testify. He was an active and ef?cient agent in the circulation of our denominational books and periodicals, an untiring and zealous preacher, pure in his private life, genial in his manners, very kind-hearted, full of sympathy, a comforter of the distressed. In the thirty-six years of his ministry he attended three hundred and sixty-five funerals. His discourses, generally extemporaneous and characterized rather by earnestness and depth of feeling than by polish or elegance, were very acceptable to those who waited on his ministry, and by his consecrated labor he accomplished a good work and left the world largely his debtor.
Rev. Woodbury Melcher Fernald born in Portsmouth, N. H., March 21, 1813, died in Boston, Mass, of diphtheria, December 10, 1873, at the age of sixty years and nine months, nearly. He was for several years a prominent preacher among us, commencing his ministry in Nashua, N. H., in 1835, and was ordained at Portsmouth, N. H., June 18, 1836. He was married in Nashua, July 5, 1837. In 1838 he removed to Cabotville (now Chicopee), Mass. In 1840 and 1841 he was located in Newburyport,then' for three years in Stoneham. In 1845 he removed to Boston and ceased his connection with our denomination. He began as early as 1842 to read Swedenborg’s works and the phantasies of A. J. Davis, and in 1845 was ordained a Swedenborgian minister. In the same year he published a work entitled “ The Eternity of Heaven and Hell, con?rmed by Scripture and Grounded in the Realities of the Human Soul; or a Renunciation of the Error of Universalism,” in which, however, with a fallacy quite obvious to any body but a Swedenborgian, while he disavows Universalism, he does not avow the dogma of endless woe. He was so fascinated and bewildered by New Church doctrines as to become alienated from his former associates and lost to our ministry. In 1854 he published a “Compendium of the Theological and Spiritual Writings of Swedenborg,” and in 1859, “God in His Providence,” in which he impliedly renounced the notion of “the eternity of hell,” and puts forth a Universalist view of human destiny, though in a novel form, turns Swedenborgian principles against the Seer’s own conclusions and makes those principles the ground of an assurance of Universal Restoration; which restoration, however, is to be wrought out in a peculiar way, it being predicated of a hidden principle of good inherent in the soul, which evil never destroys. In 1860 he published “Memoirs and Reminiscences of the late Professor Bush”; in 1865, “ First Causes of Character”; and in May, 1874, a posthumous volume of sermons, found marked for publication at his decease, was issued, under the title, “The True Christian Life and How to Attain It.” His course of speculation was erratic indeed, but his sincerity and honesty we never heard questioned, whatever phase of doctrine might for the time enlist his active and restless intellect. He wrote in a style of great vigor and contributed many able and instructive articles to the Universalist Quarterly. We recall with pleasure our acquaintance with him in 1836, in Nashua, N. H., where his early ministry in our ranks was fruitful of great good, and we always found him a pure and spiritually-minded man. We cannot help regretting that the excessively mataphysical turn of his mind and the peculiarities of his temperament prevented his continuance to the end in our ministry, for he had great industry, an ardent thirst for knowledge, intellectual powers of a very respectable kind ; and his character was, we believe, without a stain.
Rev. Samuel Jenkins, M. D., died at Glen’s Falls (Warren Co.), N. Y., December 20, 1873, in his ?fty-ninth year. He was formerly and for several years an active and useful minister among us, having been ordained at Dover, N. H., June 23, 1843. To the regret of his brethren, but in obedience to what seemed to him the call of duty, he relinquished his post as a minister and entered the medical profession, in which he took a respectable rank. The Glen’s Falls Messenger, in announcing his death, spoke of him as a most estimable man in every relation'of life. He was at one time an editor of the Evangelical Magazine and Gospel Advocate, published in Utica, which position he ?lled with credit to himself and the denomination. He was at other times connected with the press, and for over twenty years was a faithful and ef?cient laborer in the ministry.
Mr. Cleatus S. Hilsabeck was born in Allen County, Ky., October 7, 1828, and died February 18, 1874, in Illinois, in his forty-sixth year. He had lived in Illinois since early childhood. He was formerly a Baptist, but commenced preaching Universalism in 1864, in Shelby County, Ill. ; not to any regular society, but as an itinerant. He was licensed by the Illinois Convention in 1872, though he was never ordained. He was well versed in the Scriptures, lived a Christian life, and died as it becomes a Christian to die, rejoicing in the hope of the ?nal ingathering of all souls. He leaves a wife and six children.
Rev. Spencer James McMorris was born in Newberry District, S. 0., March 4, 1799, and died in Wetumpka, Ala., March 2, 1874, when he lacked but two days of being seventy-?ve years old. His father, Capt. John McMorris, was of Irish extraction ; his mother was a daughter of Spencer Morgan (for whom he was named), a cousin of General Daniel Morgan of revolutionary fame. He ?tted at Mt. Bethel Academy for Columbia College in his native State, from which he was graduated in 1818. Shortly after leaving college he joined the Baptist church, to which both of his parents belonged, and soon commenced preaching as a Baptist; but becoming dissatis?ed with the creed of his church, and especially with the doctrine of endless woe, he entered upon a course of reading and investigation which con?rmed him in the Universalist faith. Up to this period he had known but one person holding that faith, Dr. Reuben Flanagan, to whom he went for counsel, and who lent him “Ballou on the Atonement”; which book, he says, completely convinced him of the truth of Universalism before he had got half through it, and the day that he embraced that faith was the happiest day of his life. The ?rst Universalist sermon ever delivered in his hearing he preached himself, at his own house, to an assembly of his friends and neighbors ; and the ?rst preacher of the doctrine to give him light and aid was Rev. Jacob Frieze, in 1826. In 1829, having already commenced preaching Universalism with all the ardor of his nature, he removed to Columbia and established the Southern Times, a secular journal, which he conducted for several years. He was ordained by the Chattahochee Association in Harris County, Ga, in 1838. While living in Columbia he published a pamphlet of eighty pages, entitled “The Flail, or Threshing Instrument,” intended to separate the truth from false doctrines. In 1834, he removed to Lafayette, Ala., preaching in all the region round about as opportunity offered, but was obliged to depend upon some secular business for his support. While living in Lafayette he wrote a reply to Hodge’s work against Universalism, and had several oral discussions with partialist preachers, thus doing much to advance the cause of truth. In 1842 he removed to Wetumpka and began the publication of The Messenger of Glad Tidings, which, after three years, was discontinued for want of patronage. 'In 1852 he took the ?eld as general Missionary and traveled extensively in all the Southern States. He was a frequent contributor to the Denominational Papers at the South and published a number of sermons: one on the “ New Birth,” one on the “Destruction of Jerusalem,” one on “ Fear and Love Contrasted,” and some others. It was while he was on a Missionary Tour in the State of Mississippi, on the last day of May, 1871, that he was stricken down with dropsy or hypertrophy of the heart, and was con?ned at home ever after to the end of his days. He had also been afflicted for some dozen years with a cancer which had completely destroyed, one of his eyes. With the two diseases on him at once his. sufferings were very severe, but he did not complain, but looked upon death as a welcome event and fell asleep in the faith he had so long and faithfully advocated.
Mr. McMorris was thrice married: ?rst, to Miss Martha. M. Harriet Herndon, daughter of Col. Benjamin Herndon, of Newberry District, S. 0., who died at the birth of her only child; second, to Miss Margaret, daughter of Alexander Kinciad, of Fair?eld District, S. C., by whom he had two children and who died in Lafayette, Ala., after they had. lived happily together for ?fteen years; and, third, April 5, 1842, to Mrs. Thrasher, daughter of Thomas Mitchell, who survives him. '
Rev. John Glass Bartholomew, D. D., was born in Pompey (Onondaga Co.), N. Y., February 28, 1834, and died in Newark, N. J., of Bright’s disease, April 14, 1874, having just completed his fortieth year. His father dying in his infancy, he was brought up by an aunt, who was to him in all respects as a mother. His early advantages for education were, ?rst, the common school of his neigborhood and afterwards a course at Clinton Liberal Institute, which he entered at the age of sixteen. At this time he is said to have been a tall, slender, handsome, magnetic youth, with his thoughts already turned to the ministry. Leaving the Institute, where he had been a diligent and pro?cient student, in 1853, he soon after, at the age of nineteen, commenced preaching, with only a few months of special preparation. From his ?rst entrance into the ministry his pulpit labors attracted attention by his happy elocution, his magnetic personal in?uence and his dramatic delivery. He was ?rst settled in Upper Lisle, Broome County, where he remained four years. He was ordained June 12, 1856. For the next two years he was located in Oxford, Chenango County, then removed to Aurora, Ill., remaining there till 1859, when he went to Roxbury, Mass., living there six years and gaining recognition as one of the most e?'ective preachers in the city and neighborhood of Boston. His six years in Roxbury covered the period of the war of the Rebellion, and he bore a conspicuous and honorable part in the maintenance of the Union cause in those trying times. From 1865 to 1868 he was settled over the Church of the Redeemer at Brooklyn, N. Y., removing in the latter year to Auburn, N. Y., where he labored for three years. In 1871 he went to Syracuse and, after a year’s residence there, moved by considerations of health, he was induced to accept a very cordial invitation to Newark, N. J. ; but he was the victim of a malady which baf?ed medical skill and from which he was never to recover. He was installed at Newark March 26, 1873, the ceremony having been delayed to await the completion of the church edi?ce. He was ill when he went to Newark, but hoped to reap bene?t from change of air and scene. He broke down, however, within a month after his installation, and from April to September did not preach at all. In the last named month he rallied somewhat and resumed his tasks, but with failing strength, and though he labored with un?inching resolution for two months, hoping against hope, the end was drawing near. He preached through the month of February and was, at the close of it, completely prostrated and never rallied, dying as above stated, in the noon of manhood, his unshaken assurance in the Gospel he had preached being attested by his last audible utterance, “ There is no death, I am immortal.” Mr. Bartholomew was for several years one of the trustees of St. Lawrence University, which conferred on him, in 1871, the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity. For two years, 1868—69, he was chosen President of the General Convention. He was married March 7, 1855, to Miss Frances M. Baker, who, with four children, two sons and two daughters, survives him. In the twenty years of Mr. Bartholomew’s ministry he made his mark on the public mind; not, however, as a molder of dogma or an originator of ideas so much as a popular, attractive, skillful pulpit orator. His eloquence, > his tact, his strong, winning personal qualities gained him everywhere hosts of friends. It is somewhat dif?cult for those who did not know him personally and never heard him preach to understand the secret of his power. It was not profound reasoning and logical argument so much as wit, pathos, aptness of illustration, intuition and sentiment. He had a good voice, was by nature and taste an actor, and was master of the art of preaching. The death of such a man, in the height and vigor of his powers, with such a capacity for usefulness in his profession, leaves a large void in our church and brings home to us with great force the fact that ' we are strangers and pilgrims on the earth. We are compelled by want of space to omit a part of the notice we had prepared of Dr. Bartholomew, and we would refer the reader for an analysis of his powers and a more full obituary, to the Repository for July, 1874, from the pen of Rev. I. M. Atwood.
Rev. Warren Skinner, son of Timothy and Ruth (Warner) Skinner, was born in Brook?eld, Mass., June 2, 1791. He was the oldest of a family of nine children ; the late Rev. Dolphus Skinner, D. D., of Utica, N. Y., being a younger brother. Before Warren was three years of age his family moved to Westmoreland, N. H., where he spent his youth and learned the clothier’s trade. He afterwards worked at that trade two years in Brownville, N. Y. He taught school for one year. He embraced Universalism in 1808, and it would seem that a sermon he heard in Westmoreland on Matthew xvi: 25—26, by Rev. A. Kneeland, (then a popular preacher in Langdon, N. H.), had something to do with his adoption of that faith. He commenced preaching in Ellisburg, N. Y., in 1823, and in the same year received the fellowship of the General Convention, which met that year in Clinton, N. Y. He was ordained in 1825. It appears that he lived in Brownville, N. Y., from about 1814 to 1825, inasmuch as the ?rst ?ve of his children were born there within that period. For the years 1826, ’27, ’28, he lived in Langdon, N. H., as is shown by the fact that his inventory is found on the records of that town for those years. But while living in Langdon he preached in all the region round about, on both sides of the Connecticut River, in Alstead, J a?'ray, Walpole, N. H.; and in Andover, Chester, Ludlow, Plymouth, Spring?eld and Cavendish, Vt., and gave a powerful impetus to the cause of gospel truth wherever he labored. As early as 1828, possibly in 1827, he removed his family to Proctorsville (town of Cavendish), Vt., where he preached regularly for about fourteen years, i. e., until 1845, deducting the interval from August, 1833, to September, 1836, which he spent in Shaftsbury, preaching there and in Bennington. He continued in Proctorsville from 1845 to 1849 without any pastoral charge, yet preaching in many di?erent places as occasion called, and of?ciating at many funerals, where his able services were in great request and were very acceptable. In 1849 he removed to South Woodstock, in the same county, and took charge of the boarding-house connected with the Liberal Institute (now Green Mountain Perkins Academy) in that place. In 1851 he again returned to his home in Proctorsville and resided there till 1867, when he went to live with a daughter, ?rst in Waterbury, then in Burlington, Vt., and ?nally in Claremont, N. H. He was the contemporary and co-laborer in the gospel ministry of John E. Palmer, William Bell, Samuel C. Loveland, Thomas Browning, Russell Streeter, Kittridge Haven and Robert Bartlettbof whom only the last four remain to this present time, and all of them octogenarians. On March 30, 1874, he preached for the last time at a funeral in Acworth, N. H. On the twelfth of the ensuing September he went on a visit to his son in Proctorsville, and it is thought by his family that he felt that his end was near. For, it is said, that “ after reaching Proctorsville he failed rapidly. Still he was cheerful, and his mind was clear and bright to the last. Scarcely an hour before he died an old friend, Ex~Gov. Ryland Fletcher, who is a Baptist, called upon him. In their early acquaintance their contests of faith had been many and warm. In the last hour of his life the contest was renewed, and Father Skinner said to Gov. F.: ‘I have no more doubt of the truth of the doctrine I have preached, than ,I have that I breathe.’ These were almost his last words.” He died October 6, 1874, in the eighty-fourth year of his age, of heart disease, as it is supposed, with which he had been afflicted for many years. He died, too, as we have seen, rejoicing in the faith which with eminent ability and ?delity he had preached for more than ?fty years. A large congregation attended his funeral in the Methodist Church in Proctorsville, and the of?ciating minister, Rev. John Gregory, was assisted in the services by Elder Freeman (Baptist) who paid a cordial and deserved tribute to the moral worth of Father Skinner. The Freemasons were present in large numbers, from Cavendish and the neighboring towns, and buried him according tovtheir usages. Thus the grave closed over the mortal remains of a valiant Christian soldier; a man of venerable age and distinguished ability as a writer and preacher; a clear thinker, a logical reasoner, a man mighty in the Scriptures; a forcible and ?uent speaker; an upright and honest man. In 1830 Father Skinner published a series of twelve able and well-written Essays “ On the Coming of Christ.” At various times he contributed elaborate and scholarly articles to the Universalist Expositor and Quarterly Review, and one of them, “ On the Popular Doctrine of Atonement ” (Expositor for 1833), as we happen to know, elicited from the editor (Rev. H. Ballou, 2d), the high praise of being the best article which, up to that time, had been furnished him. Father Skinner was twice married; ?rst, March 5, 1815, to Miss Nancy Farnsworth of Stoddard, N. H., and second, November 24, 1831, to Mrs. Lucretia (Slapp) Redington of Lebanon, N. H., who survives him, in her seventy-?fth year, with two of her four children, together with seven of the ?rst wife’s. Among the latter is Rev. C. A. Skinner of Hartford, Conn.
Mr. Thomas Moring, son of John and Nancy Moring, was born in Hanover County, Virginia, January 22, 1821. He moved with his parents to the State of Kentucky in 1835. His boyhood was spent in following the plough; his father, however, being a Methodist preacher. By a careful study of the Scriptures while quite a young man he discovered the truth of Universalism and commenced lecturing on the subject, but knew no name for his new doctrine, and never was inside a Universalist church until 1868. He was twice married: ?rst, to Mary Jane Robinson, who departed this life in the spring of 1863 ; second, to Serilda Nolan, October, 1864. He died in the faith, from heart disease, May 24, 1874. He was ?rst licensed as a preacher in Indiana in September, 1871, and his license was renewed December 5, 1873. These scanty memoranda are all we have been able to gather of him.
Rev. William Wallace Wilson, the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Gray) Wilson, was born in Stoddard, N. H., November 23, 1819. An accident, by which he lost one of his hands at the age of thirteen, turned his attention to books and study. He was bred in the Orthodox faith, as it is called, but was awakened to a special interest in the subject of religion by listening to the preaching of Rev. J. V. Wilson (not a relative), who says, “ In relation to our good and true departed brother, W. W. Wilson. I can only say that when at one time I gathered a few disciples in that partof the town of Stoddard which is near Nelson Factory, he, being then young, came to my meeting and has told me that he got his ?rst religious impressions from me.” Having learned to appreciate the Universalist faith, and in the meantime acquired an academical education, he began, at the age of twenty-two, to preach. He was ordained in 1842 at Laconia, N. H., preaching in that town about two years, and then removed to Centre Harbor, where he lived about the same length of time. In 1847 he was located in West Haverhill, Mass., staying there four years. In 1851 he went to Dover, Me., and preached there_nearly ?ve years. In the fall of 1856 he was called to Southbridge, Mass., where he labored eight years. His health failing, he was advised by his physician to suspend all ministerial labor, and returned to West Haverhill, and with improving health resumed pastoral labor there for three years more, making in all seven years’ labor in that place. In 1867 he went to Chatham, Mass., but was compelled by ill health to resign his charge in 1869. In 1870 he removed to Oxford, Mass., but after a couple of years was compelled again to relinquish his charge. Some time during the year 1873 he was stricken with a partial paralysis, and. from that time, though not entirely helpless, was disabled for the ministerial work. He, however, never ceased to take a deep interest in the welfare of his parish and of the denomination. His faith was strong and a source of deep and abiding joy as he neared the end of life. His death took place June 19, 1874. He Was a great sufferer during the last days of his life, but he bore his sufferings with a trustful and patient spirit. Mr. Wilson was married August 15, 1848, at Haverhill, Mass., to Miss Sarah F. Woodman, who survives him. He was well known to our older New England clerg ’ for his excellent spirit, his industry, his kind and sympathetic nature, his earnest and useful services in the cause of popular education, in behalf of temperance and in every good work. He was social, genial, upright, and leaves a blessed and honored memory in his various ?elds of labor.
Rev. Thomas Jefferson Greenwood, the youngest son of Miles and Charity Greenwood, was born in Newton, Mass, May 2, 1799. His childhood and early youth were passed in that place, where he attended the district school. At the age of sixteen he went to Albany, N. Y., and attended school two years, the expenses being borne by an elder and only brother, Captain Miles Greenwood, who was lost at sea, and of whom Thomas spoke as the highest earthly hope of his parents, and his own most watchful earthly guardian and benefactor. At this Albany school, which he ever after looked back upon as “the starting point in his life,” he made rapid progress in his studies, and in the development of manly character. From Albany he went to New York city, where he concluded his school education. He was a diligent and faithful student, and stood well in his classes. He showed a taste and a remarkable facility for poetical composition, and often indulged in it in after-life. On leaving school, he went to Waltham, Mass, and engaged as an operative ina cotton mill. He soon became a master of his business, and was called to Lowell as an overseer in one of the Merrimac Mills ; thus attaining at an early age, by his ability, industry and integrity, a position of trust and pro?t which might have satis?ed a man of mature years. Yet there was an obstacle to his success in business. It was not that he was incompetent, neglectful of any trust, or addicted to any vice ; but he was a Universalist, and his faith he would not renounce nor disguise 0n any account whatever. When he was asked to smother his convictions and cease the advocacy of a doctrine hateful to the “Mill authorities ” or lose his place, he chose the latter alternative. And the result was that his faith in the Fatherhood of God, and in all that that doctrine implies, was intensi?ed, became more precious to him, and he soon began to prepare himself in earnest for that higher work of OVERSEER which we now see that God had for him to do in the ranks of the Christian ministry. After a couple of years of careful preparation, under the instruction of Rev. Eliphalet Case, Mr. Greenwood preached his ?rst sermon in Atkinson, N. H., July 19, 1829, which elicited very ?attering commendations from his hearers. In June, 1830, he was ordained as pastor at Marlboro’, Mass., where he remained fourteen years, preaching, meanwhile, a portion of the time, in the adjoining town of Framingham for a series of years, and subsequently he was instrumental in gathering a society in Concord, though in both places the society of our faith has ceased to be. In Marlboro’ Mr. Greenwood’s labors were successful and his in?uence abiding. His talents were ?tted for the position he occupied, he was a ready and facile speaker, had a great command of language, was a man of large observation, of wide sympathies, interested in whatever was going on around him, in manners social and genial, over?owing with animal spirits and good humor, every inch a gentleman, a man of unimpeachable integrity, a citizen who stood well with all classes, and as a neighbor, friend and Christian, without reproach. In 1840 he was appointed to take the census in three towns in Middlesex County, and he served for two years as senator from the same county in the State Legislature. Leaving Marlboro’ in 1844, he was for the next ?ve years pastor of the Universalist Society in New London, Conn. His next pastorate was in Dover, N. H., and his ministry there, though beset with many discouragements from local troubles previously existing, was the means of giving new life to the parish. After ten years of service in Dover, he yielded to a pressing and repeated invitation to settle in Malden, Mass., continuing in the pastorate six years; and in the church and the Sunday-school, in the homes of his people, and in the public schools of the town, as preacher, pastor and citizen, he wrought diligently and successfully. “ After the dissolving of his connection with the church in this place (Malden),” to use his own words, “he was invited to spend a Sunday in Saugus, with no further expectation on his part; but, continuing from Sabbath to Sabbath, the arrangement grew into an understanding of a non-resident pastorate, and he continued the relation for nearly nine years.”
A few years ago Mr. and Mrs. Greenwood celebrated their golden wedding, and those ?fty years of married life were full of golden memories, for they were marked by perfect mutual ?delity, trust, and affection. The only child that God had given them had been early taken away, and this event lent a saddening, and also a softening and hallowing in?uence to their lives. Mr. Greenwood was one Of the Trustees of Tufts College for the whole period since its foundation, in 1852, to his decease; and his associates on the Board have put on record their appreciation of his faithful services,—his prompt attendance on its meetings, his uniform courtesy and Christian deportment.
Such is a brief and imperfect outline of Mr. Greenwood’s life of seventy-?ve years, and his ministry of forty-six. Our limits forbid a minute and exhaustive analysis of his mental traits. For this we refer the reader to a tender and appreciative tribute to his memory in the Repository for November, 1874. His most salient qualities may be summed in a few words. He was not a learned man, in the classical or college sense; but, as to general knowledge, he was well-informed, and he had a fund of good sense and of Gospel enthusiasm. He ever showed an unswerving adherence to principle. He had strong and positive convictions, religious and political, yet was he tolerant towards the members of other churches and parties. He was conservative in his notions of reform, yet was he so true to himself that he could not be false to any man. He was our nearest ministerial neighbor and associate for seven years,—from 1837 to 1844. Many a time and oft has his house been our temporary home, as we exchanged pulpits, and we can testify that his hospitality was not bestowed grudgingly. His home was the abode of peace. The law of kindness reigned there. His domestic relations were very happy. We do not remember an act or word of his, in all our acquaintance with him, that was not pure and good and kind.
The immediate occasion of his death, which took place on Saturday, September 12, 1874, was a fall some three weeks before, by which he broke his right arm, and from which he suffered great pain. On the evening of his death he remarked that he was feeling much better, and added, “ But for the pain in my arm I should feel quite well.” Immediately after saying this, he suddenly'and peacefully passed away. We add only a passage from a brief autobiographic sketch which he published July 4, 1874, when he seemed to have a premonition of the approaching end, and gave expression to his cheerful Christian faith and hope in the following words, which are, in every sense, characteristic of the man: “ And now, though in old age, FACING THE WEST for the coming sunset, it is with no feelings of despondency or gloom that he contemplates the event,—a life overcrowned with mercy and bene?cence should have no cause to despond,—~but with devout thankfulness to God for the gift of Faith which looks beyond to the glorious sunrise of the Immortal Day, guaranteed by the resurrection of the Lord Jesus from the dead, and for the explicit assurance that, 'like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also shall walk in newness of life.’
“The sun that sets again shall rise And give the day and gild the skies;" For he who comes the world to save Has risen victor o’er the grave: Death and its sting no more shall be; God giveth us the victory!
Rev. Edward Augustus Drew was born in Plymouth, Mass., November 22, 1845, and died in Lynn, Mass., October 11, 1874, in the twent 7-ninth year of his. age. When a boy he was very fond Of study and ambitious to excel his classmates, which his persevering disposition enabled him to do. He was, moreover, very upright and conscientious, and in all respects his character was above reproach. His studious habits led him to form the idea of entering college, preparation for which he made in his native town, graduating from the high school in the spring of 1863. In the fall of the same year he entered Tufts College, where his course was marked by the same diligence and faithfulness as had characterized his previous efforts. In order to assist in defraying his expenses he was obliged to teach winters, and yet by his ambition and perseverance he took many prizes, besides graduating at the head of the class of 1867. His ?rst situation after' graduating was as teacher of the ancient languages in the Medford (Mass.) High School, where he remained two years, endearing himself to all with whom he came in contact. In the fall of 1869 he accepted a call as Principal of the Green Mountain Institute, now known as the Green Mountain Perkins Academy, at South Woodstock, Vt. Here he remained only a single term, leaving at the beginning of the winter term to take the position of Chase Classical Instructor at Dean Academy. This situation he retained until the summer of 1871, when the feeling that his life-work was higher induced him to change his vocation for that of the Christian ministry. He accordingly resigned, his lucrative position at Dean and entered Tufts Divinity School, from which he was graduated in June, 1872. He was ?rst settled over the Universalist Society in Newburyport, Mass., where he commenced his labors in September, 1872, and was ordained on the 11th of the following November. Only a year elapsed from the time of his settlement here when the Second Parish in Lynn, Mass., extended to him a call, which he accepted, remaining with them until his death. His labors here were blessed with ?ne results and the Society seemed to have entered upon a greater degree of prosperity than it had previously known, when he was suddenly-stricken down by disease. He leaves a wife and one child, a boy, about two years old. His parents reside in Franklin, Mass., and. he has two sisters living. His disease was typhoid fever and hemorrhage combined. Says one of his parishioners, in a tribute in the Universalist to Mr. Drew: “We were not ready to part with one whose presence was so full of benediction and peace to all who knew him, and whose spirit was so like the Divine Master, full of gentleness, devotion to the good of others, so earnest for the cause of truth and righteousness, so courageous for the right, so valiant against the wrong, yet always with a kindness of manner and absence of 'all pride of opinion, and with a consideration and courtesy towards others that won universal esteem. As a preacher of the Gospel, Mr. Drew was highly appreciated and esteemed. His manner was pleasing, his language well chosen, his thoughts clearly presented, his illustrations appropriate, often the fruit of his scholarly reading and taste and singularly apt and beautiful; and there was a blending of the doctrinal, practical and spiritual in his discourses, that made his preaching both instructive and inspiring and adapted to interest and bene?t all classes of hearers, the young and the old, the learned and the unlearned, the rich and the poor.
. . . . Outside of his own Church and Society he was also highly appreciated and beloved. In the meetings of the clergymen of the city for the promotion of temperance and other interests of reform and philanthrophy, he was recognized and welcomed, and performed his part to the satisfaction of all. He was often called to take part in public assemblies called to promote the same interests, and never hesitated to identify himself with every good work.” The death of such a man, at such a time of life, is a great loss to his family, his church and the world.
Mr. Henry Bowen is worthy of honorable mention in these pages, on account-of his being the founder of the ?rst Universalist paper ever published. He was born in Greenbush, Rensselaer County, N. Y., May 18, 1794. He came to Boston in 1817, and here, in connection with his brother, started a paper entitled The Weekly Magazine and Ladies’ Miscellany. He was from the ?rst a constant attendant on Father Ballou’s ministry, and conceived the plan of printing his sermons in pamphlet form; and these tracts were the germ of the Universalist .Magazz'ne, the ?rst number of which appeared July 19, 1819. In 1828, when the paper passed into the hands of Rev. Thomas Whittemore, Mr. Bowen ceased his connection with it; but his services in starting the paper and maintaining it so long were of great value to the cause. He was as truly raised up and called in the providence of God for his work as Murray or Ballou, with whose names, as a pioneer in our cause, his will ever be associated. He was an earnest and zealous Universalist, very unassuming and retiring in his manners, a truly good man and sincere Christian. He died in WestARoxbury, Mass., July 18, 1874, in his 81st year, rejoicing in the faith which he had ever honored in his life and done so much to promote.
Mr. George W. Bazin, whose name was so long identi?ed with the same paper, was born in Portsmouth, N. H., in 1794, and there learned the printer’s trade. In 1820 he came to Boston, and in 1828, when the Universalist Magazine passed into the hands of Rev. Thomas Whittemore, Mr. Bazin became its printer and continued his connection with it for forty years, excepting about six years, which he spent in the o?ice of the Eastern Argus, at Portland. He was noted for his thorough knowledge of the printing business and the accuracy and neatness of his work. He was one of the original members of the Boylston Hall, now Shawmut Avenue, Church. He was a member of the Common Council of Boston in 1834, and again in 1837. He was also one of the oldest members of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association. For the last nine years of his life he worked “ at the case ” in Rand & Avery’s printing of?ce. He preserved to the last, to a remarkable degree, his mental and bodily vigor. At 79 he was as bright in his intellect and almost as agile in his movements as most men at 45. His long connection with our publishing interests and the large and friendly acquaintance he had among our clergymen of three generations render him a truly historic character in the Universalist Church. Very many there must be all over the land who heard of his departure With something of a sense' of personal bereavement. He died after a short illness, December 21, 1873, in the 80th year of his age, leaving a wife and four of their eleven children to mourn his loss.
Jacob Nelson Norton, A. M., the son of E. Norton, Esq., of Gardiner, Me., died in Augusta, Me., April 27, 1874. His last, fatal illness was occasioned by the amputation of a leg, rendered necessary by bone disease of the knee. Fitting for Co lege at the Gardiner High School, he entered Tufts in 1864, a retiring and studious youth. During his four years’ course he developed extraordinary qualities of mind and mastered a wide range of studies outside of the curriculum. His mind was speculative, and the profoundest questions of philosophy absorbed his best energies. Upon graduating in 1868 at the head of his class, he declined a tutorship at Tufts, but afterwards accepted a post as teacher in Westbrook Seminary, with which institution he was connected till within a year of his death. He was an amiable gentleman, a brilliant scholar and a successful teacher.