Index by Last Name
+ index is incomplete
Back to Dictionary

+ Digitized Directories
+ 1846-1922 Unitarian
+ 1840-1920 Universalist

Obituaries (1873-74) in the 1876 Register
view scans of the orginal pages in the 1876 Register at the library. Scan images will open in a new tab or browser.

The text below was created using optical character recognition software (OCR) and may contain errors.

Elias Benjamin Gage, an old and much esteemed citizen of Dowagiac, Mich., formerly a Universalist preacher, died in that city, very suddenly, of heart disease, October 23, 1874, in his seventy-fifth year, leaving a wife with whom he had lived fifty-three years. He was horn in DeRuyter, Madison Co., N. Y., July 5, 1800. He was converted to the Universalist faith by reading a doctrinal paper published in Hartford, Conn., by Rev. Richard Carrique, and, at the age of thirty-four, commenced preaching the gospel in his native town. By the recommendation and aid of the New York Universalist Convention, held at Buffalo, October 1, 1836, Mr. Gage went to Michigan, locating himself in Birmingham, Oakland Co., and was the third preacher of our Order to settle in the then Territory of Michigan; his co-laborers having been Rev. N. Stacy, at Ann Arbor, and Rev. G. R. Brown in Cass Co. The field of Mr. Gage's ministry was mainly in Oakland, Wa3-ne and Jackson counties; but not receiving adequate compensation for the support of his family, he ceased from preaching in 1843, and entered into secular business. In April, 1864, he removed to Dowagiac, and there spent the remainder of his life.

Rev. Robert Glidewell Harris died at Knob Prairie, Ill., October 31, 1874, in his forty-sixth year. This earnest and devoted minister of the gospel had been remarkable from early childhood for his steady habits and pious disposition, and, when he was about twenty-eight years old, began to preach in the State of Missouri. He had been a member of the Campbellite (Baptist) Church, and it would seem that at one time he seriously contemplated entering the Baptist ministry. The first Universalist sermon he ever heard was preached by J. H. Miller, one of the Millersville (Mo.) Church, who died during the late war; and the second one he ever heard was preached by Rev. Thomas Abbott, which gave him great satisfaction and encouragement. He afterwards listened to a debate at Jackson, Mo., between Rev. T. Abbott, Universalist, and Rev. J. Woods, Methodist; and from that time he jointly preached and taught at Millersville until he removed to Southern Illinois, where for the last eight years of his life he gave his whole time and energy to the ministry of Impartial Grace. He was instrumental in organizing four or five churches, and in building three houses of worship. The cause still lives in most of the places where he labored. He was ordained in October, 1850, and continued to the end a laborious, self-sacrificing and worthy minister of the gospel. He had long been subject to pulmonary disease, and during the winter and summer preceding his death had overtaxed his strength in his missionary work, and thus hastened the fatal crisis which his friends had foreseen and dreaded. Throughout his long and painful illness he was remarkably patient and composed, and strove to comfort his grief-stricken companion, exhorting her to seek consolation in the precious assurance that "whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth," and would often repeat the Psalmist's words, "In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust." In all the relations of life he acted well his part. As a son, never were parents blessed with one more dutiful; as a brother, always gentle, kind and affectionate; as a father, ever devoted and true; and of his many virtues as husband, only a bereaved and heart-broken companion can form an adequate idea. By his death, in the noon of manhood, our denomination has lost a noble Christian worker, and his loss is deeply felt throughout the wide circle of his acquaintance.

Rev. James Osgood Emery, the son of John and Patience (Cole) Emery, was born in Portland, Me., July 24, 1801, and he died very suddenly at or near Richmond (P. Q.), Canada, November 12, 1874. His remains were brought to Auburn, Me., for interment. He was ordained to the work of the ministry at a session of the Maine Convention, June 29, 1843, in what was then East Thomaston, now the city of Rockland; and in Maine he spent his ministerial strength, preaching for a brief period in many different towns, and gathering churches in some of them. It was mainly through his endeavors, it is said, that the church in Lewiston was organized. He married Miss Lydia S. Small, to whom were born five daughters and two sons, of whom four daughters and one son survive. His early education was scanty. His preparation for the ministry, such as it was, was made by studying the Bible upon his shoe-bench, and a few months with Rev. George Bates. It seems that he surrendered his letter of fellowship long ago, for what reason we do not know, and he has not recently been actively engaged in the work of the ministry.

Hon. Nathan Griffin Hichborn, son of Henry and Desiah (Griffin) Hichborn, was born in the old town of Prospect, now Stockton, Me., May 29, 1818, and died there after a brief illness, November 23, 1874, aged about fifty-six years and six months, leaving a wife and six children to mourn their great loss. The Universalist parish in Stockton, and the whole community also, mourn the loss of a prominent, active, influential and excellent citizen. He had been a Universalist from early youth, and always identified with the interest of our cause; in fact, his heart was in it, and every way, by word and by example, by generously giving to it his time, his money, his strength, lie has labored for it, and won a good name throughout the State. He was a liberal patron of Westbrook Seminary. He was an outspoken and unflinching advocate of temperance, by precept and example. For years he was quite prominent in the politics of the State; had been a member of both branches of the legislature, one year in each; and for four years, from 1865 to 1868 inclusive, he was state treasurer. He had long been engaged in ship-building, and was identified with that great industry. For the last two years of his life he was an active promoter of the Bay and River Railroad enterprise, and, at the time of his death, was president of the company. Truly he died in the harness, in the strength of vigorous manhood, leaving a painful void, not only in the hearts of his familiar friends and associates, but also in the community- at large in which his influence was felt, his worth known, and his name honored.

Justus Gage was born March 13, 1805, in Ruyter, Madison Co., N. Y., and died January 20, 1875, in Dowagiac, Mich., having entered on his seventieth year. he had no other schooling in early life than such as could be obtained in the district school during the winter months, excepting part of a term at Hamilton Academy in his native county, after he had been engaged for some half dozen years in teaching school. In the fall of 1832, he was licensed to preach by the Genesee Association, at its session in York, Livingston Co. In the fall of 1840, he renewed his labors in the ministry, and was ordained in the spring of 1842. Being at that time the only settled minister of our faith in South-western Michigan, his circuit was extensive, and his labors severe and exhausting; so much so that, in the fall of 1847, he was obliged by loss of voice to cease from preaching altogether, and from that time onward he devoted himself to agriculture. In 1852, he gave the annual address before the Michigan Agricultural Society; for eight years was the efficient chairman of the State Board of Agriculture; was appointed one of the executive committee of the Michigan Agricultural College; and for several years he served faithful - as a director of the public schools of Dowagiac. Nor did he fail in all these years to take an active and prominent part in sustaining the cause of Universal Grace, serving as clerk of the church and of the Board of Trustees, which offices he held at the time of his death. From about 1851, he was a great sufferer from a complication of infirmities and difficulties, such as few men are ever called to endure. For twenty years his wife was an invalid, and for a portion of the time quite helpless. Mr. Gage was a man of genuine goodness, had a clear and vigorous mind, was full of activity and enterprise, was the friend and helper of every good cause, always identified himself with the welfare of his people, and his sterling integrity and solid worth secured for him the respect and esteem of his fellow-citizens.

R. D. McCord, M. D., died in January, 1875, at his home in Christian County, Ky., aged sixty-five years. He came originally from Tennessee. He preached for twenty years or more occasionally, and was a true and faithful man, a strong and convincing preacher. He had a discussion with T. C. Frogge some years since, but was compelled to desist before the time set for the close, on account of bleeding of the lungs. Doubtless this hastened his departure. He left a large family of children and many relatives to suffer by his death, which to him was great gain. So much we learn from the Paducah (Ky.) "Harbinger," but can learn no further particulars.

Rev. Daniel Tenney died at La Porte (Lorain Co.), Ohio, February 1, 1875, aged eighty-one years. He had been for many years an active and useful minister of the Reconciliation. He was a native of New Hampshire, from which State he removed to Vermont, and there married Miss Silvia Kent, with whom he lived sixty years, and who survives him, together with their ten children, five sons and five daughters, and thirty-two descendants of the third and fourth generations. He removed to La Porte in 1835, and continued there till his death. After his active ministry ceased, he acted as postmaster, and also as a justice of the peace. He was a man of excellent character, and an earnest, effective preacher. His funeral took place at the Methodist church, the pastor thereof taking part in the services, and bearing a cordial testimony to the Christian character and unimpeachable integrity of Father Tenney.

General Samuel Freeman Hersey, son of James and Olive (Freeman) Hersey, was born in Sumner (Oxford Co.), Maine, April 12, 1812, and died of disease of the liver, in Bangor, Me., February 3, 1875, in his sixty-third year. With only the advantage of the district school, excepting a short term at Hebron Academy, he, at the age of sixteen, began to teach school, and, at the age of twenty, began as a clerk in Bangor, working at first for his board. He began to do business for himself in Lincoln; then removed to Milford, and finally settled in Bangor and amassed a large property. He was long engaged in politics, and bore a prominent part in the public affairs of the State. He represented Milford in the legislature of 1842, and Bangor in the legislatures of 1857 and 1865; was a member of the state senate in 1868 and 1869, and of the executive council in 1852 and 1853; was a delegate to the national convention in 1860 that nominated Lincoln for the presidency, and was a member of the national republican committee from 1864 to 1868. Taking an early interest in military affairs, he served in the state militia from captain to major-general, and at the outbreak of the rebellion rendered efficient service in organizing and equipping the troops from Maine. He liberally seconded the efforts to relieve the wants of our soldiers, and was ardently devoted to the Union cause throughout the war. He felt a just pride in having been able to vote in the Chicago convention for resolves against the further extension of human slavery; in the Baltimore convention of 1864 for universal freedom, and in the Maine legislature for the ratification of the constitutional amendments which sealed the results of the war. In 1872 he was elected representative to Congress, and was reelected in 1874, but unable from ill-health to take his seat.

Aside from his many other important trusts, he has been for many years one of the most prominent members of the Universalist denomination, to whose funds he has been a generous contributor ; and the Universalist Church in Bangor, to which he belonged, has received many evidences of his regard. In addition to other sums heretofore given to Westbrook Seminary, amounting to some 815,000, we understand that in his will he has made further provision in the future for that institution. General Hersey leaves a widow, his third wife, to whom he was married in 1872, and also four sons, children of his second wife. Immediately after his death, the trustees of Westbrook Seminary, of which board he was president, adopted the following resolutions, which concisely sum up his character:

Resolved, That the trustees of Westbrook Seminary have heard with deep and unaffected sorrow of the decease of the president of that corporation, and one of its most munificent patrons, the Hon. Samuel F. Hersey, who departed this life at his residence in Bangor on the 3d inst.

Resolved, That for his wise and sagacious counsel, for his constant and unflagging interest in the affairs of the institution, and the encouragement and pleasure he has contributed in his official relations to the board, and in his intercourse with its members, as well as for his timely and liberal donations to its funds, the trustees desire to record their most profound and grateful acknowledgments.

Resolved, That not for these things alone, no more than for the privilege of ranking among its friends and officers a gentleman of the wide and honorable influence, the sterling principles, the earnest patriotism, the genuine manliness, the high aims and spotless example of General Hersey, does the Seminary recognize its obligations.

Mr. James Boyden died in Montpelier, Vt., February 22, 1875, aged seventy-six. He was for a while a minister in fellowship with the old Northern Association in Vermont, and was a man of a good spirit and high moral worth, but too diffident and self-distrustful to do much as a public speaker. Though he wrote a pretty good sermon, he read it poorly. He was a frequent contributor to the Christian Repository; was an intelligent and consistent believer in the Great Salvation, and always manifested a deep interest in our denominational work. He had two sons, and the death of the younger one seemed to unman him; and after the death of the older one, by suicide, Mr. Boyden always lived alone, in a very humble, secluded manner, though he was a constant attendant at church to the day of his death.

Rev. Thomas Browning, the oldest of the thirteen children of Joseph and Lucy (Sherman) Browning, was born iu Rutland, Mass., March 21, 1787, and died in Richmond, Vt., March 12, 1875, thus lacking but nine days of being eighty-eight years old. His family moved to Barre, Vt., and settled there, wh«n Thomas was eight years of age. His earliest religious faith was that of the Methodist Church, but his inquisitive spirit and eager thirst for a knowledge of divine things were not satisfied until he embraced the doctrine of Universal Redemption. This faith, indeed, he held previous to his formal connection with the Methodists, and he joined them with the distinct understanding that he would continue to hold it; and though often urged to abstain from advocating it in the church and conference meeting, yet he could not at all times hide his belief; it must shine out. So vital to the Christian system did this faith seem to him, and so elevating and comforting was it to his own soul, that he felt a necessity laid on him to become a preacher of the good tidings; and with the spirit of God in his heart and the Bible in his hand, without the aid of other books, or much help from the wisdom of the schools, he began to preach in October, 1823, in Barre and the vicinity, he being at that time in his thirty-seventh year. He had been hitherto a farmer and mechanic, yet by diligent and persevering study he became well versed in the Scriptures, the work grew under his hands, and his ministry was fruitful of much good, he was ordained October 4, 1827, by the old Northern Association of Vermont. In May, 1832, he moved to Waterbury, Vt., and in May, 1834, to Richmond, where he ever after resided, always rendering loyal service to the cause of religion by his excellent Christian spirit and correct example. He held civil office in the town for some years, and once represented it in the legislature. In manners he was very genial, dignified and courteous. In theology he was a staunch defender of the supernatural character of the Gospel Revelation in opposition to the loose and skeptical liberalism of the age, on which subject he was accustomed to speak with earnestness and decision. Mr. Browning was married January 12, 1812, to Miss Persis Ross of Jaffrey, N. H., who bore him ten children,—nine daughters and one son,—of whom only four are now living.

Rev. Lewis Feuilleteau Wilson Andrews, M. D., died in Americus, Ga., March 16, 1875, in the seventy-third year of his age. He was the son of Rev. John Andrews, an eminent minister and journalist of the Presbyterian Church. It is a mooted point whether Rev. John Andrews or Mr. Nathaniel Willis (father of N. P. Willis) published the first religious newspaper ever printed in the United States. Dr. L. F. W. Andrews was born in North Carolina, September 7, 1802, but while he was quite young his father and family removed from North Carolina to Chillicothe, Ohio, where the father published the early organ, above mentioned, of the Presbyterian Church. From Ohio the family moved to Pittsburg, Penn. Rev. John Andrews was desirous of educating his son for the Presbyterian ministry, and gave him the advantages of a classical education. Dr. Andrews received his degree as Doctor of Medicine at Transylvania University, Lexington, Ky., and afterwards practised as a physician in Cleveland, Ohio, and in the region round about Pittsburg, Penn. He was twice married; several children by the former and one by the latter marriage surviving him. He appears to have been ordained a minister in 1831. He first became acquainted with Universalism in the summer of 1830, in Augusta, Ky., where he was staying at the time, engaged in dentistry, and under the following circumstances: Rev. J. C. Waldo, then settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, was on a missionary tour through the cities and large towns in Kentucky at the time referred to, and on one occasion "brought up" at Augusta, and preached morning and afternoon in the court-house in that city. On going in to the evening service, he found in the Bible on the desk an anonymous request that he would preach on the parable of the sheep and goats, which he accordingly did, and, as it proved, with good effect. The request, it appears, was made by Dr. Andrews. He had notified what he had done to his friends, and among others, to the president and professors of the Methodist College at Augusta, and invited them to be present and "enjoy the sport," as he termed it. But the effect of the sermon was different from what he had anticipated. Though "he came to scoff," he remained to accept thankfully and joyfully the doctrine of the preacher; for he professed to have been converted by that sermon. He soon afterwards went to Cincinnati, professed a desire to enter our ministry, and after receiving some aid from Bro. Waldo, preached quite acceptably in his pulpit. In 1832 he became pastor of the Second Universalist Church in Philadelphia; in 1834 he travelled extensively in the South, visiting New Orleans, Mobile, and Montgomery. In the last named city he gathered a society and started the Gospel Evangelist, which paper was subsequently moved to Charleston, S. C, and Dr. Andrews became pastor of the Universalist Society in that city. In 1836-7, he was senior editor of the Southern Pioneer and Gospel Visitor, then published in Baltimore, Md., it having been founded in 1832 by Rev. O. A. Skinner. After this, removing to the far South, Dr. A. published the Evangelical Universalist, but we cannot give the particulars as to date or locality. In labors abundant, in long and frequent missionary journeys, and in the midst of opposition and great tribulations, he, like our other Southern preachers, had to fight his way in the promulgation of the doctrine of a world's salvation. Dr. Andrews was steadfast in his Universalism to the last. He was generous, free-hearted, liberal, almost to a fault. His prodigal generosity tended to improvidence. The marked trait of his mind was activity. All he could know he grasped at a glance. Hence, though not profound, he was ready for all encounters. On the day of his death he left Macon, Ga., where he had been to visit his children, to return to his home in Americus, and suddenly, immediately upon reaching his house, he was stricken with death; and, giving a groan or two, passed quietly and without pain to the world of spirits.

Rev. Alpheus Fortune Root, son of Alpheus and Electa (Bordwell) Root, was born in Denmark, Lewis Co., N. Y., July 21, 1814, and died of asthmatic consumption at Rockford, Ill., July 13, 1875, aged sixty-one years. he embraced the Universalist faith in 1843, and was ordained a preacher in June, 1847, at Perrysburg, Ohio. In this sphere of labor he was diligent and faithful, though, as he confessed, not reaching his ideal standard. His early education, which was limited, was received in his native town, and he studied for the ministry at Perrysburg. He was settled for brief periods in Wisconsin; viz., at Peru and Berlin, four years; at Monterey, three years; at Brookfield, one year; and for a while at Waukesha. He itinerated more or less in Ohio, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. For the last seven years of his life he lived at Rockford, Ill., travelling, latterly, however, as agent for the Star in the West and New Covenant, the state of his health not permitting him to take charge of a parish. His wife, whose maiden name was Julia E. Beedle, together with their four children, survives him. He was a good man, esteemed in every place where he had lived, an agreeable neighbor, a firm Universalist, a faithful friend. Having been asked, a few hours before he passed away, how his faith appeared to him in that hour, his eyes kindled with new light, and his whole countenance beamed with animation as he replied: "It is more beautiful to me now than ever. I have never wavered in my convictions for a moment since I was converted to these reasonable views of God's character and government. All I regret is that I have not been more faithful in disseminating them." It was inspiring indeed to commune with a departing soul whose faith was so strong, and who saw before him an immortality so rich and glorious. It made one feel how much better for the soul is affirmation than denial of the doctrines of the gospel; how much more ennobling is trust in God than doubt and negation.

Rev. Athanase Josué F. Coquerel, D. D., son of the late Athanase Laurent Charles Coquerel, was born in Amsterdam, Holland, whither his parents had gone on a visit, in 1820, and died at Fimes, France, July 25, 1875, age fifty-five years. It seems proper to take notice in these pages of the death of this eminent man,—eminent no less for his great gifts and excellence of character than for his Universalism, in a country where that faith is little known, and the name Universalist is so unpopular. Says one who had visited him in France, and had been visited by him in America: "He was a splendid man; not so eloquent as his father, but more learned, and full of benevolence." He passed through a severe struggle during the siege of the Germans, but a worse one from the orthodox party in the church. His brother Etienne edits the Renaissance, one of the organs of the Liberals in France, and is a fine writer. Miss Helen Maria Williams, author of the familar hymn commencing, "While Thee I seek, protecting Power," was his aunt, and lived with his father. We mention these facts to indicate the distinguished talents of the family to which Athanase fils, the subject of this notice, belonged. He was educated in Geneva, taking high rank as a student, and during his life he occupied many important positions as scholar, teacher, lecturer and pulpit orator. The prestige given him by his father's name and fame lost nothing in his hands. His way was not without crosses and disappointments, but the great grief of his life was his expulsion, but the Orthodox Consistory of Paris, from his church and the fellowship of the denomination, solely on account of his liberal faith. He never became reconciled to the blow, but he did not give up preaching. Half the Protestants of Paris, indignant at the injury, rallied around him, and were, during the remainder of his life, warm and faithful adherents. He visited this country some two years ago, and lectured in several of our cities on the subject always so near and dear to his heart,—liberal Protestantism in France,—a cause that is violently assailed and persecuted there, not alone by the Catholics, but also by the bigoted and intolerant wing of the Reformed Church, which lays claim to all the Christianity now existing in that country. His brilliant eloquence, as now in French and now in English he strove to awaken the sympathies of his hearers for the oppressed fraternity to which his life was devoted, must be still fresh in many minds. But while listening to his eloquent and moving words, they little knew how rapidly the speaker was exhausting the life which was so important to the cause for which he was laboring, and to republican France. During the siege of Paris, he received a severe wound; for, in his devotion and patriotism, no danger withheld him from constant exposure of his person. Not satisfied with furnishing three ambulances, largely at his own expense, he daily went himself under fire in search of the wounded. It was while stooping to lift a dying soldier into an ambulance that a shell burst near him, inflicting a severe injury", which no doubt finally led to his death. The wound soon healed, and he returned to his duties for a short time, but his strength failed, and he was ordered to Sicily, where he remained many months, and then once more resumed his customary work, preaching, lecturing aud editing. Again he was obliged to seek repose, and for that purpose went to Fimes, where a brother-in-law resided, and where a bronchial attack, in his already -weakened condition, in a few days closed his labors and his life, and French Protestantism and republican France lost one of their most beloved and illustrious representatives. He was called the most brilliant pulpit orator in Paris, and everywhere known as the friend to the poor and oppressed. As a writer, in depicting his character, eloquently says, " He was on a level with all the duties of life. He combated ignorance, egotism, hypocrisy, injustice, evil under all its forms, giving his life without stint to others." Prodigal of his strength, his time, his bold, good sense and courageous power of endurance, he, like his Master, " went about doing good." In accordance with his express direction, he was buried at Fimes, where he died. In February, 1875, the University of Leyden, in recognition of his merit, conferred on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity.

Rev. Jons W. La Moine was of French parentage, and was born on the ocean, April 1, 1830. At two years of age he was left an orphan, without a relative in the country, and was compelled to fight life's battles alone. Upon reaching manhood, he united himself to the Baptists, in Richmond, Va., and for some years was a preacher in that denomination. In 1868, he took charge of a Baptist congregation in Middlcfield, Otsego Co., N. Y. He was ordained by the Baptists, July 15, 1870, in Goodlands, Ind. Returning to New York, he became pastor of the Baptist Church at Sidney Plains, in Delaware Co. During his ministry in this place, he embraced the doctrine of Universal Redemption, and in March, 1873, was licensed to preach by the Universalist Convention of New York, and in April, 1874, admitted to full fellowship with the Convention. The first two years of his ministry as a Universalist he spent within the limits of the Chenango Association, preaching to the societies in Rockdale, Oxford, Smithville, and Preston. In April, 1873, he removed to Ford's Bush, Montgomery Co., and took charge of our church in that village. He died July 31,1875, after an illness of only two weeks, during which his sufferings were of the severest character. Mr. La Moine was an earnest, able, and eloquent preacher, and a man of exemplary life. During his brief labors with the Ford's Bush people, he awakened an interest and enthusiasm among them that promised a degree of success hitherto unknown. A church had been organized, a Sabbath school gathered, numbering more than one hundred pupils, and it is rare that a pastor so endears himself to his people, who, in this case, manifested their sympathy with him, and respect for him in every way during his sickness, and at the funeral service. He was married in Middleficld, January 1, 1869, and his wife, with a bright little boy of some four years, survives him.

Stephen Smith was born September 27, 1794, and died August 6, 1875, at Roselle, N. J., in his eighty-first year. Fifty years ago, when New York City was a ship building port, Smith & Dimon was prominent among the most energetic and honored firms engaged in that industry. Stephen Smith, the revered head of the firm, and John Dimon, his partner, were apprentices of Henry Eckford, perhaps the most eminent ship-builder of his time in this country. As apprentices, they had some pretty rough experiences during the war of 1812, when they were sent in winter from New York to Sackett's Harbor, over hard road, and through forests, to aid in extemporizing a miniature fleet on Lake Ontario. Mr. Eckford was subsequently appointed chief of the Sultan's navy yard at Constantinople, and not long after died there, and Smith & Dimon became his successors in New York, where their ship-yard, at the foot of East Fourth Street, the largest of the day, was well known for half a century. They were distinguished for honorable dealing and excellent work. Mr. Smith stood among the finest architects of the country, and by some good judges was regarded as at the head of that profession. But it is of his social and domestic life that we wish chiefly to speak in this place. In all the relations of citizen, son, husband, father, and friend, he was distinguished for the goodness of his heart, the evenness of his temper, and his general candor and charity. He was by natnre calm and undemonstrative, but in quiet and unobstrusive ways abounded in generous and noble deeds. In his own family, and to all his kindred, he was a kind, provident, and faithful friend. At the time of his death, he had nearly completed fifty-nine years of happy married life. His wife survives, surrounded by a family of loved and loving children, and sustained in her bereavement by a cheering Christian faith and a thousand pleasant memories. Mr. Smith and his family were long connected with the old Orchard Street Universalist Church in New York City, and his eldest daughter is now the wife of Rev. C. H. Fay of Washington, D. C.

Rev. Fanny Upham Roberts, daughter of Frederick and Hannah R. Cogswell, both of whom were preachers in the "Christian connection," was born in South Berwick, Me., in June, 1834, and died of bronchial consumption, August 26, 1875, in Winona, Minn., in the forty-second year of her age. When she was twenty-eight years old, she experienced a religious awakening, and joined the Congregational Church in Northwood, N. H., where she then lived, and for some time was superintendent of a Baptist Sunday- school. She had, however, from a child been imbued with the Universalist faith. In 1870, she began to give lectures in public on lyceum topics, and not long afterwards commenced preaching in Kensington, N. H., and Wells, Me. In the spring of 1871 she removed to Kittery, Me. (where she had been ordained February 3, 1874), and preached there until April, 1875, when, from loss of voice, she resigned her post, and went to Minnesota for the benefit of her health. But the change of climate failed to arrest the progress of her disease, and she steadily declined until death came to her relief. She was married in early life, and leaves one son and three step-daughters. Her remains rest in Woodlawn cemetery, in Winona, where she died. Her friends testify to her vigor of mind, her goodness of heart, her eloquence and power in the pulpit, and the graceful modesty and sweet womanly-dignity that ever shone out in all her life.

Samuel Adams, Esq., was born in Townshend, Mass., September 12,1789, and died in Cavendish, Vt., Seplember 9, 1875; his funeral taking place on the eighty-sixth anniversary of his birth-day. His parents moved to Cavendish when he was two years old, and there he ever after lived. There he married Calista French (whose death occurred seven months previous to his), who bore him seven children, four of whom, two sons and two daughters, survive him. By his native energy and rectitude of character, with little aid from schools, he early took a leading position in social, civil and religious affairs in the neighborhood, and filled with credit all the more important offices within the gift of his townsmen. He acted as a justice of the peace for fifty-two consecutive years, and presided in an important case less than two weeks previous to his death. His memory was good, and his mind clear and sound to the end. He was one of the founders and always an active and faithful member of the Universalist parish in Cavendish, aided in organizing the Green Mountain Association, and often sat as Moderator in its councils, and served on its more important committees. His influence was largely felt in the founding of the Green Mountain Liberal Institute, now the "Perkins Academy," at South Woodstock. For more than thirty years his house was the minister's home, and for a very long period his voice was heard in the choir at the church. The memory of such a man is blessed indeed. Throughout his last brief sickness, even to the end, his mind was clear, and he died rejoicing in hope of eternal life, repeating the Lord's prayer just as the heart gave its final throbbings. His last words were, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." His funeral was largely attended, Rev. Mr. Guernsey officiating, assisted in the services by the resident Baptist and Methodist ministers.

D. Francis Condie, M. D., died in Philadelphia, April 1, 1875, aged eighty years. He was the senior member of the Lombard Street Universalist Church in that city, having joined it in 1819. He was always an interested and active worker in that church, until an accident a few years ago deprived him of the use of one limb, when he retired from active life to a farm in the country. In his time Dr. Condie was one of the most eminent physicians in Philadelphia, his native city. He was the author of a number of standard medical works, the most important of which are the following: An Abridgement of Thomas's Practice, 1817; Course of Examination for Medical Students, 1824; Catechism of Health, 1831; Treatise on Epidemic Cholera in conjunction with Dr. John Ball, 1832; Diseases of Children, fourth edition, 8vo., 1854. Dr. Condie edited Dr. Fleetwood Churchill's work on the theory and practice of Midwifery and Diseases of Women, and he made frequent and valuable contributions to the American Cyclopedia of Practical Medicine and Surgery; Philadelphia Journal of the Medical and Physical Sciences; North American Medical and Surgical Journal; Journal of Health, Philadelphia; American Journal of Medical Sciences; Transactions of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, and to the North American Medico-Chirurgical Review. He was a member of various medical and benevolent societies, and in the district of Southwark, where he long resided and was well known, he was universally respected.

Thomas Crane, Esq., was born at George's Island, (Fort Warren), in Boston Harbor, October 18, 1803, and died in New York City, April 1, 1875, in his seventy-second year. He was one of the oldest, most prominent and most esteemed of the Universalist laymen in New York. For a number of years he lived in Quincy, Mass., but in 1829 he moved to New York City. Beginning his career there quite poor, he succeeded by application, perseverance, energy and business ability, in amassing a fortune. He was long known to the Universalists of New York as the treasurer of the Harsen Fund. He was one of the trustees of Tufts College, and a liberal contributor to all our denominational enterprises. He was formerly and for a long period a member of the Orchard Street Universalist Church (Rev. Dr. Sawyer's) in New York City, though of late of Rev. Dr. Chapin's. He was a man of pure life, famed for his kindness of heart and benevolent deeds, and was loved and honored by the Universalist fraternity as far as he was known. He leaves a wife and two children, and goes to meet six children who had preceded him to the world of spirits.

Main Page  |  About the Project  |  Contact Us  |  Fair Use Policy

All material copyright Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society (UUHHS) 1999-2020
Links to third-party sites are provided solely as a convenience. DUUB does not endorse materials on other sites.

CREDIT LINE: From the biography of _______ written by ________ in
the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography, an on-line resource of the Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society.