Index by Last Name
+ index is incomplete
Back to Dictionary

+ Digitized Directories
+ 1846-1922 Unitarian
+ 1840-1920 Universalist

Obituaries (1878-1879) in the 1880 Register

The text on this page may contain errors.
It was generated by Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.
To view original scanned images of these biographical sketches at the library: CLICK HERE

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF DECEASED MINISTERS. [Note.—In preparing the following sketches of deceased ministers, the editor lias in some instances been largely indebted to the full and appreciative notices already published; and in other** she has received much assistance from relatives and friends. 8be returns her cordial thanks to all who have aided her.]

I. Rev. James Lewis Corbin Griffin, son of Dr. Samuel S. and Sally (Lewis) Griffin, was born March 17, 1W14, in Gloucester Co., Va , and died near Gloucester Court House, Va., Oct. 22, 1878. Mr. Griffin's early education was received partly from his father and partly at a school in Williamsburg, Va. When sixteen years old,lie entered William and Mary College, and graduated in 1833. Alter teaching for a few months, ho became a preacher in the M E. Church, but two years later left the ministry for the study of medicine. He graduated as M. D. from the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, in Feb., 1839, but practised medicine for only a short time. Jn 1844 he joined the Universalist Church in Richmond, Va., and was or- dained and became pastor of the church in 1845. He was afterwards for a time associate editor of the Christian Warrior published in that city. After leaving Richmond, a large part of his life was devoted to teaching. He taught in Williamsburg, Va., and Patriot, Ind., where he was also pastor of the Univer- salist church, then in Louisiana and Mississippi, being Professor of Ancient Languages in Madison College, Miss., lor two years. In 1857, he was made Professor of Latin and Greek in Lombard University, Galesburg, Ill., but returned to Mississippi the follow- ing year. Soon after, ho removed to S Carolina, and preached, mostly as an itinerant, in that State, N. Carolina, and Virginia, till 1871, when ho went to Florida and became pastor of the Universalist church in West Florida, teaching at the same time, till 1874; when, feeling a strong desire to revisit his native State, he returned to Virginia, settling first at Alexandria, and after- wards removing to Gloucester Co., where he closed his earthly career. Besides the work Mr. Griffin did as preacher and teacher, he was a constant contributor for many years to the Universalut Herald, and his writings added much to the interest of that paper. He was much beloved in the South, where ho was best known; he was honorable in all the relations of life, and devoted to his faith, showing its benign spirit in his daily intercourse with the world.

II. Rev Joshua Britton was born in Westmoreland, N. H., Aug. 14, 18<«, and died at Fort Atkinson, Wis, Oct. 30, 1878. His early life was spent upon a farm, where ho had but limited opportunities for attending school; but he diligently improved those that offered, and, at the ago of eighteen, began a successful career as a teacher which extended over ten years, pursuing his own studies at the same time and steadily adding to his stores of knowledge Mr. Britton had from youth a serious and devout mind, and was always a regular attendant on public worship. He was in- clined to the faith of the Presbyterian Church until about the age of twenty-three, when he had opportunities for hearing the doctrines of Universalism advocated by the late Rev. Dolphus Skinner and others. He became very much interested, and his intelligent mind eagerly drank in the new views presented. His faith grew stronger with the lapse of time, and he finally resolved to enter the gospel ministry. He was fellowshipped by the N. Y. Central Association, June, 1831; he preached his first sermon the following month, and was ordained at Burlington Flats, N. Y , June G, 1832. He had been previously married, Oct 21, 1827, to Miss Eunice Britton, with whom he passed forty-three years of wedded happiness, she dying eight years before her husband. Mr. Britton was settled over parishes in the State of N York till 1839, when he was in Chesterfield, N H., for a year. He spent the next ten years in Dudley and North Chatham, Mass. The next three years he preached in Stoddard and Richmond, N. H. Ho removed to Vermont in 1853, and preached in Brattle- boro', W. Concord, Lyndon, and Bradford for the next fifteen years, when he went to Fort Atkinson, Wis, which was his home for the remainder of his life Ho was a faithful and excellent pastor; he had a mild and benevolent spirit and a loving heart that won many friends. He was an uncompromising advocate of his own faith, but his broad and catholic spirit and his tender consideration for the feelings of others prevented him from ever making a harsh attack upon the doctrines of other Christian churches. He was a man of very marked conscientiousness, and so truthful and painstaking that whatever statement he made might be accepted as absolutely correct. If not one of our greatest ministers intellectually, he was one of the best spiritually, and his life was a pure and useful one. For several years his declining health has prevented him from engag- ing in the regular duties of the ministry; but, while patiently waiting for his appointed time, he kept up his interest in all church enterprises and did what he could for the cause of Christ.

III. Rev. Varnum Green Wheelock, eldest child of Jere- miah and Abigail (Nealy) Wheelock, was born in Calais, Vt., Dec. 16,1806, and died in East Calais, from cancer and paralvsis, Dec 11, 1878.

The parents of Mr. Wheelock removed to Montpelier, Vt., when he was very young, and they both died there while he was still a child, leaving him to struggle with poverty. He had but slight social or educational advantages; he was not strong physically, and his natural mental ability was not marked. Ho grew up an earnest and zealous Universalist, and was very de- sirous to enter the ministry. He began to preach occasionally in 1840, but was not ordained till 1*55. He was never settled over any parish, but preached a good deal as a missionary in Northern Vermont and Canada, and did what he could to dis- seminate the truth He was very devotional in his feelings, patient and persevering in his efforts to spread the gospel, and his faith brought him great peace and comfort He was married, Aug. 9, 1854, to Elvira Webster of Wolcott, Vt., who died March 15, 1856.

IV. Rev. Prudy LeClerc Haskell, daughter of Napoleon and Roxa LeClerc, was born in Louisville, Kv., Feb. 6, 1844, and died in Oxford, O., Dec 27, 1878.

Mrs. Haskell, as a child, was thoughtful, intelligent and studi- ous. Having obtained a good common-school education in Vevey, Ind., where her parents resided in her early girlhood, she began to teach, and, by her own efforts, obtained the means to secure an academic course of study. Her parents were Uni- versalists in sentiment, and her mind was early impressed by the influences of their religious faith. An only brother who had intended to enter the Universalist ministry, died in a Southern prison during the war, and she felt herself called to take the place which he would have tilled. She was ordained at Madison, Ind., Oct. 14, 1809, where she preached two years, and succeeded in gathering the scattered remnants of a former organization into a living form. She then went to Mt Pleasant, Iowa, and labored there successfully for two years, greatly endearing her- self to her people; but the climate proving unlavorable to her she was obliged to leave, and she returned to the home of her parents in Aurora, Ind. She was afterwards settled at Mt. Carmcl, Ind., at Jeffersonville and Newtown, Ohio, and at Cov- ington, Ky. Wherever she lived, her many gilts and graces won warm friends, who loved her for the sweet purity of her heart and life, and esteemed and honored her for her warm devotion to the cause of Christ and hor heroic efforts to advance his kingdom. She was an attractive and interesting preacher, and very popular as a pastor. While residing at Covington, Ky., she was united in marriage to Mr. Cassius L. Haskell who has since been ordained to the ministry. She had been married but a single year when she was called to leave her husband and widowed mother who was a member of her household, and go up higher.

V. Rev. Joseph Oberlin Skinner, eldest of the seven children of David and Abigail (Sleeper) Skinner, was born in Picrmont, N II., Feb 18, lflti, and died from paralysis in YVater- ville, Me., Jan. 12, 1879. The early days of Mr. Skinner were marked by privation, self-denial and toil. He had but slender opportunities for attending school, and was emphatically self- educated. Endowed with an active and inquiring mind and an unusually tenacious memory, he easily acquired and retained the knowledge for which he had an ardent thirst. During the long summer (lays when he was at work upon the farm, his thoughts were upon his studies, and as he always had a book in his pocket, many hard lessons were learned, many difficult problems solved, and the habit of patient, thorough investigation formed, which was a marked characteristic of his maturer studies. In spite of all obstacles, he was early fitted for a teacher, and finished his first school before his seventeenth birth-day. lie was a success- ful and enthusiastic teacher, and through life felt a great interest in our common schools, and was an efficient and useful member of the school board in almost every town where lie ever lived.

The father of Mr. Skinner belonged to (bo strictest school of Congregationalism, and he instructed his children most carefully in their gloomy doctrines The thoughtful and reverent nature of the son was appalled by the religious vii-ws presented to him, and, being a sensitive and conscientious child, he suffered agonies of apprehension and fear He felt that it was a fearful thing to live, and ihe idea of death was lull of terror At about the ago of fifteen, he had an opportunity to hear the lata Rev. John Moore preach a few times, and, as a result, the clouds which had over- shadowed him were dissipated, and a flood of light which was never again obscured, burst upon his soul. The great change through which he then passed quickened and exalted his moral and religious nature, and gave birth to a faith which nothing could shake — a faith which was so strong and clear that it seemed in his later life at times to be almost sight.

In the spring of 1834, Mr. Skinner went to Lowell, Mass , and was for a time employed in a cotton-mill He there had access to libraries, he joined classes studying the natural sciences, he attended lectures, and, what he prized most of all, he had an opportunity to attend upon the ministry of Rev T B. Thayer, then settled over the Universalist church in that city, and to learn more of the principles underlying his cherished faith. In consequence of the great peace and joy which were in his own soul, he began to think it might be his duty to fit himself for the Christian ministry His pastor encouraged his aspirations, gave him his warm sympathy, and aided him so generously in carry- ing out his wishes as to secure his life-long gratitude, esteem aud love.

When abont twenty, Mr Skinner went to Maiden, and entered the family of the late Rev. S. Cobb as a theological student, and began to preach occasionally a few months later. He was licensed in June, 18:17, and ordained at Salem, X. II., Aug 31, 1837. He was settled in Holliston, Mass., from 1*37 to 1840, when he removed to Framingharu; in 1844 he went to Dudley, and from there to Concord in 1846; in 1848 he removed to Lud- low, Vt., and in 1850 to Chester, in the same State, where he remained till August, 1853, when ho accepted a call to Rockland, Me. He labored there very successfully for more than six years, when he reluctantly resigned his pastorate and accepted a call to Nashua, N. H., where he resided from November, 18o9, till the summer of 1862. At that time he was troubled with a bronchial difficulty, so thai he was able to preach only occasionally for more than a year, but in December, 1863, ho settled in St. Albans, Vt, and two years later in Malone, N. Y. He left Malone in 1867, to become associate editor of the Christian Repository, pub- lished in Montpclier, Vt., preaching meanwhile in East Montpe- lier. His work as an editor was peculiarly fitted to his tastes, and he enjoyed it much; but, as he was employed on account of the ill health of the editor, the arrangement was a temporary one, and he accepted a call to Waterville, Me., in April, 186!). That was his last settlement, and he spent the remainder of his life there, preaching in Waterville and, for longer or shorter periods, at Fairfield, Vassalboro' and Sidney. Besides his regular pas- toral work he attended very many funerals, often going long distances to cany comfort to sorrowing hearts.

It was while attending the funeral of a former parishioner, Feb. 3, 1878, that his own summons came, and he was stricken by paralysis of the right side and carried to his home insensible, and apparently lifeless. His life hung by a thread for weeks, but he finally rallied somewhat, and regained the power of speech in a measure Almost the first words that the watchful ear of affection could understand were: "Faith worketh pa- tience"; and his daily life thenceforth was a constant exemplifi- cation of those words. During the more than eleven long mouths that he was confined to his bed, more helpless than an infant, and at times suffering most acutely, no murmuring word, no desire to recover, no wish to go, ever passed his lips; but the sweetest submission, most perfect faith and patience marked every conscious hour. Though the fatal disease had cast a cloud over his mind, it seemed at times to be cleared away, and very strong and convincing proofs were given of the gen- uineness of his Christian faith, and its mighty power to sustain and strengthen the soul. When asked if the faith with which he had comforted others was sufficient for himself in his great trial, he said that it was, and added: "I do not want any new revela- tion; 1 am satisfied with what we now have."

Mr. Skinner was a very devoted and faithful pastor. The sick and afflicted, the. aged and poor found in him a constant and sympathizing friend He was not satisfied with the tem- poral prosperity of his parish, but constantly labored to promote the higher interests of his people, to quicken their faith, and to bring them into the heavenly kingdom of the Master. He was from youth a close student of the Bible; he strove to under- stand its teachings, and to make his own life harmonize with its doctrines and spirit. All his social, moral and religious theories were founded upon the Bible; he studied it constantly, thoughtfully and prayerfully. His sermons were vigorous, clear and earnest, full of gospel truth and glowing with the language and imagery of the Bible. If not always attractive and inter- esting to those who attend church as a matter of form ami for entertainment, they were full of instruction for the intelligent and thoughtful hearer, and of edification for the devout and humble worshipper. His pen was never idle; he was a frequent contributor to the denominational and secular papers. He wrote many articles for the Quarterly; he prepared a history of the Masonic Lodge of Waterville, which is very highly appreciated by the members of that order. He was for many years the editor of the Register, and spared neither time nor labor to make it complete and accurate. He had other work planned and partly performed when his overtasked brain gave way, his eyes became dim, and the pen dropped from his powerless hand. In recognition of his scholarly attainments, Colby University, in 1872, conferred upon him the honorary degree of A. M.

As a man and a preacher, Mr. Skinner was honorable, consci- entious, high-minded, and magnanimous. No shadow ever sullied the sterling integrity of his character. He was the soul of sincerity, utterly incapable of keeping back anything which he thought ought to bo spoken, uncompromising in his convic- tions, and nothing could turn him from the path of duty. He never stopped to consider what the personal consequences of any act might be, but the voice of conscience was to him the voice of God, and he obeyed it unflinchingly.

In May, 1846, while residing in Concord, Mass., Mr. Skinner was married -to Miss Maria T. Barnard of Hartford, Conn; she died in Chester, VI., August, 18.52. In Juno, 1854, during his Rockland pastorate, he was married to Miss Candace L. Fullam of Ludlow, Vt., who survives him with a little boy, the younger of their two sons. [The above sketch was prepared by the editor with great diffidence, but in deference to the advice of friends, upon whose judgment she relied.]

VI Rev. George Leonidas Smith was born in Warren, R. I., Nov. 24, 1823, and died in Middleboro', Mass., Feb. 14, 1879. Mr Smith began his ministerial life as a Christian Baptist, in Middlctown, R. I., where he was ordained in 1854. He after- wards preached in various places in Plymouth Co , Mass. He was for n time a Swedenborgian in faith, though he did not believe in the doctrine of the eternity of the Hell". In 1873, he became a Univcrsalist, received fellowship from the Mass. Convention, and settled in Plymouth for a time, but, on account of feeble health, was obliged to withdraw from ministerial labors. Though Mr. Smith was in early life denied the education and training of schools, which he would have valued so highly, still, by his own efforts, by diligent reading and study, he acquired that knowl- edge which made his pulpit efforts acceptable and useful to the people among whom he labored. His aim was to find the truth, and, when he became convinced that he had been in error, ho had the courage to admit it and to proclaim his new belief at the risk of unpopularity and censure. He had a deep and abiding trust in God, and was an honest, faithful, true man. Mr Smith was married, Nov. 28, 1818, to Miss Betsey A. Barney, of North Swansey, Mass

VII. Rev. Ehenezer Fisher, D D., second of the eight chil- dren of Ebenczer and Sallv (Johnson) Fisher, was born in Char- lotte, Me., Feb 6, 1815, and died in Canton, N. Y , Feb. 21, 1879. Mr. Fisher, senior, was one of the pioneers of Eastern Maine; and the subject of this sketch passed his early years in a new country, in the midst of the hardships which are inseparable from such a life. With the exception of a single term at the seminary at Kent's Hill, Keadfield, he had no advantages beyond what were afforded by the common schools of his native town. Like very many of his brethren in the ministry, his early relig- ious training was in the Orthodox Church, against whose gloomy doctrines his whole soul revolted. When about sixteen years old, a few Univcrsalist books and papers were put into his hands, the perusal of which, in connection with the Bible, brought him "out of darkness into marvellous light," and he gradually formed the purpose to fit himself for the Christian ministry, that he might aid other souls to obtain a knowledge of the great salvation.

The first opportunity he ever had to hear a Universalist min- ister preach, was in the fall of 1839 About the same time he formed the acquaintance of Rev. W. A. Drew and other Maine ministers, who gave him so much encouragement that he sought and obtained a letter of fellowship from the Maine Conventfon in 1840, and preached his first sermon, Nov. 29, in the same year. In July, 1841, he settled over the Universalist parish at Addi- Miss Amy \V. Leighton, of Pembroke, Me., who survives him with a son and daughter, and he was ordained the 3Uth of the same month.

Mr Fisher remained at Addison Point, preaching there and in that vicinity, till April, 1847, when he accepted a call to Salem, Mass. lie remained pastor of the society in that city till early iu 185;), when he was forced to resign on account of ill health His pastorate there was eminently successful, and his influence was widely felt, both in denominational enterprises and reform movements. While living in Salem, he began to furnish articles for the Quarterly, which was from that time frequently enriched by his thoughtful and instructive words.

In Nov., 1853, he removed to South Dcdham (now Norwood), where he remained till 1858, when he was appointed President of the Theological School at Canton, N Y., and thenceforth he gave his time, his labor, his thought and strength to a work for which he was peculiarly fitted For more than twenty years, he was the honored head of the first Universalist 'Iheological School, and during that time, one hundred and three students were graduated, who are now scattered over the country and bearing testimony to his faithful teaching, his rare devotion to duty, his profound scholarship and Ins eminence in all Christian virtues However marked may have been the results of his labors in other fields, his work in tho Theological School was the most important and conspicuous, and will be his most en- during monument. His earnest and heroic efforts, his self-devo- tion, his enthusiastic faith, his sagacity and perseverance kept the school alive during its darkest days, and finally ensured its success. His instruction there was in the highest themes that man can study; his example constantly enforced his teachings, nnd his faithful, patient and genial spirit exerted benignant in- fluences beyond all human power to estimate, and bound him to the hearts of his pupils with undying affection.

Dr. Fisher was a man of broad and general culture While his natural taste inclined him to the domain of theology, ho had also vast and accurate general information, and he made it all tributary to his central purpose, — tho preaching of the gospel. Dr. Fisher's personal presence was marked by great dignity and self-possession, commanding honor and reverence from all with whom he came in contact. If the first impression he gave was of a cold and passionless nature, a fuller knowledge of the man revealed a kind and sunny heart, a sympathetic and tender consideration for others, and a paiient and forbearing spirit, which made him, in addition to the wise, intellectual guide and teacher, a warm, generous and tender friend and almost father to those whose minds he trained, whose hearts he moulded, and whoso talents he directed.

In 1801, Mr. Fisher received the honorary degree of A.M. from Tufts College, and, in 1862, that of D.D. from Lombard Uni- versity.

VIII. Rev. John Porter Chaplin was born in Ira, N. Y., May 3, 1826, and died in Huntertown, Ind., March 9, 1879. The father of Mr Chaplin moved to Ohio in 1833, and in 1835 to Indiana, in which State the son passed most of the remainder of his life He received fellowship as a Universalist minister from the St Joseph Valley Association, more than twenty years ago. Though he was able to preach but a part of the time, on account of feeble health, he was very zealous and active in intro- ducing his faith into new localities, and did a very acceptable and valuable work as a missionary in Northern Indiana. He was settled at Lincoln, Ill., for a time, and afterwards at Hunter- town, Ind., where he died.

Mr. Chaplin was a self-educated man, with fine intellectual abilities, and he gavo much of his time and thought to religious study and work. He was a modest and eloquent speaker, and his mental and spiritual gilts won a large circle of loving and devoted friends in the various places where he lived. In I860, or '61, Mr. Chaplin was married to Mrs. Mary Farns- worth, of Lockport, Ill., who died in 1872, leaving three children, all of whom are still living

IX. Rev. George N. Cox died in Lowell, Washington Co., Ohio, April 5, 1879, in the ninety-second year of his age. He was in early life a Methodist, preaching the doctrines of that church in Pennsylvania and Virginia for many years About 1810, his faith was enlarged and lie became a firm believer in Universalism; he immediately began to proclaim the glad tid- ings, preaching in West Virginia and Ohio as opportunity offered, until prevented by the infirmities of age. Ho is spoken of as a good man, full of faith, and a zealous Christian. He leaves a wife aged eighty-seven, with whom he had passed sixty-nine years of wedded life.

X. Rev. William Johnson was born in Maryland in 1801, and died in East Portland, Oregon, April 6, 1879. His early life was passed in Maryland, Kentucky, and Ohio. He also lived after his marriage, in Indiana and Iowa, but removed to Ore- gon in 1846. He was formerly a Baptist minister, but has been a Universalis! for many years. He was licensed in 1875, but had then been long preaching the distinctive doctrines of Univer- salism.

XI Rev. Moses Ballou, son of Rev. David Ballou, was born in Monroe, Mass., March 24, 1811, and died in Atco, X. J., May 19, 1879. His father was elder brother of Rev. Hosea Bal- lou; he was thrice married and Moses was the third child of the third wife.

In 1828, Moses Ballou went to Brattleboro1, Vt., to learn the cabinet-maker's trade, with the understanding that he should have the privilege of attending the Academy in that town three months in each year. It is uncertain how early he decided to enter the ministry, but he began to preach when he was twenty- two; the first year of his ministerial life was spent in itinerating in Franklin Co., Mass., and in Windham Co., Vt. Ho was fel- lowshipped in 1834, and took charge of the parish in Bath, N. H., was ordained in 1835, and in 1836 removed to Portsmouth, N. H. He was married in 1837 to Miss Almeua D. Giddings, who survives him; two sons were born to them, but both entered into rest before their father.

While in Portsmouth, Mr. Ballou was associate editor of the Star in the East, then published in Concord, N H. In the spring of 1843, he removed to the city of New York, and took charge of the Fourth Society; after laboring there three years, in com- pliance with the earnest wishes of his former parishioners, to whom he was sincerely attached, he returned to Portsmouth for a second pastorate of two years, and then removed to Bridge- port, Conn. In 1854, he went to Hartford, Conn., and in 1857, settled over the Second Church in Philadelphia. He remained there two years, when lie accepted an invitation to the Bleecker St. Church, New York, where he had a pastorate of five years; he then went to New Haven, Conn., and in 1866 returned to his beloved Philadelphia parish, where he remained till 1872 On account of his failing health he then sought a quiet home in Atco, N. J., designing to rest from his labors and to spend the evening of his life there. But he found he had still a work to do and he began to hold meetings there, which resulted in the organization of a society and the erection of a house of worship; he also preached regularly at Hammonton. and continued his labors with both parishes till within a few months of his death

In private life Mr. Ballou was most genial and cordial; he had a very tender heart and a noble, generous and magnanimous gesture, which gained him many strong friends who both loved and honored him. He was endowed with a personal magnetism which attracted the old and the young, the wise and ignorant, the happy and the sorrowful; all welcomed him gladly to their soci- ety, and found pleasure, profit and instruction in his conversa- tion. Mr. Ballou was a very strong and logical writer. His rea- soning was forcible, his style was clear, and his written words have in large measure that magnetism and fervor which marked his pulpit efforts. He published several books, the more promi- nent of which are the " Memorial of Rev. Merritt Sandford," and "The Divine Character Vindicated " (a review of Rev. Edward Beecher's Conflict of Ages). The latter is very highly estoemod and is said to be one of the soundest, most thorough and conclu- sive defences of physical and scriptural Universalism which ever emanated from any of our preachers or writers. Mr. Ballou was a very able, impressive and eloquent preacher. Ho had a digni- fied and commanding presence, his voice was clear and pleasant and thrilling in its deep fervor, and when most interested in his subject, he had a lofty eloquence which elevated his hearers above all earthly things, and held them spell-bound. In his best days, when in the vigor of his manhood, physically and mentally, few men could hold an intelligent and thoughtful audience to closer attention than he. He was one of the great preachers of our church, and resembled his eminent undo in his originality of thought and method of argument. His faith was living and earnest. As he drew near the grave he often said —" I have no desire to live any longer; I wish to go home; my faith sustains me. I know that my Redeemer liveth; I do not simply believe, but I have the evidence within me. I know that I shall live again." To him

"Death was but A kind and gentle servant who unlocks With noiseless hand, life's flower-encircled door, To show us those we love."

XII. Rev. Ethiel Carpenter, eldest son of John and Abi- gail (Stone) Carpenter, was born in New Milford, Conn., March 26, 1794, and died in Fredricksburg, Iowa, May 1, 1879. Mr. Carpenter was married in 1813 to Miss Sally Curry; a few years after his marriage he began preaching as a Methodist, but afterward outgrew his creed and was excluded from that church on a charge of heresy — heresy which consisted of a denial of the doctrines of the trinity, endless punishment, infant damna- tion, and election and reprobation. He preached for some years withoul being connected with any denomination, contented with the simple name of Christian, and taking tho Bible for his creed; but he finally sought and obtained fellowship from the Cayuga Association of Universalists in the State of New York, Septem- ber, 1848. He preached for many years in that State, in West Cayuga, Tioga, Tompkins, and Steuben Counties, and in Brad- ford and Wyoming counties, Pa. He labored in the ministry regularly till the death of his wife, which occurred after a long married life of fifty-six years, Sept. 20, 1869. He removed in May, 1870, from Pennsylvania to Iowa, to find a home with his children, and closed his*public labors at that time, preaching only once after his arrival at his new home. He was very strong and vigorous, and his life might have been prolonged, perhaps for years, had he not mot with an accident, being thrown from his carriage and injured so severely that he died almost immedi- ately. Mr. Carpenter was a soldier in the war of 1812, and through life was an ardent lover of his country; he was an honorable and upright citizen, a humble and consistent Christian, universally loved and respected.

XIII. Rev. Marmaduke Gardner was born in 1812, in Sonth Carolina, and died in McDade, Texas, May 4, 1879, in the sixty- eighth year of his age. He spent the earlier part of his life in his native State, though he lived for some years in Mississippi previous to his removal to Texas, which occurred more than twenty-five years ago. He began to preach May 12, 1848, was ordained Sept. 2,1849, and received the fellowship of the General Convention Jan. 10, 1872. He was pastor of the Universalist Church in Williamson Co., Texas, twenty-five years, where his memory will long be fragrant in the hearts of those who best knew him He travelled very extensively in Texas, and did a groat amount of missionary work, and was a very faithful and useful minister, highly esteemed in the community where he lived for his integrity and sincere Christian spirit. His faith in the full grace of God sustained him in life, and was more fully manifested as the shadows of the tomb gathered around him, and ho died peacefully and happily. Mr. Gardner was twice married — first March 12, 1833, to Miss Rhoda Ussery, by whom he had nineteen children. She died in 1878, and he was married a few weeks before his death, to Mrs. Jones, of McDade, Texas.

XIV. Rev. Abner Longley was born in Mason County, Ky., in 1796, and died in Paoli, Kansas, May 9,1879. His father moved to Oxford, Ohio, in 1810, where the son learned the cabinet-mak- er's trade, at which ho worked for some years Ho was first married to Miss Mary Stevenson, and after his marriage, while working at his trade, he acquired a good education at Miami University, Oxford. In 1832, he moved to Lebanon, Ind., where he found employment as a surveyor, and represented the town for several years in the State Legislature. In 1840, his first wife having died, ho was married to Miss Sophronia S. Bassett, who died in 1850. He subsequently married Mrs. Ammorette Law- rence, who survives him.

Mr. Longley began preaching as an itinerant in the Christian denomination, but soon alter was convertod to the Universalis! faith. He was licensed by the Miami Association in 1811, and ordained at Cincinnati in i815. He was widely known in Ohio and Indiana, as he travelled extensively in those States preaching whenever opportunity offered, and zealously striving to make his faith known and respected. His amiability and integrity won him many friends, and ho was faithful and true in all the rela- tions of life. In 1866, he removed to Paoli, Kansas, where he enjoyed a remarkable degroe of health and vigor, till his last illness, which was of but one week's duration.

XV. Rev. Solomon Laws, son of Thomas and Mary (Locke^ Laws, was born in Peterborough, N. H., Nov. 13, 1806, and diecl in Akron, Ohio, May, 15, 1879.

Mr. Laws fitted for college at Kimball Union Academy, Mcri- den, N. H., entered Dartmouth College in 1832, and graduated in 1836. He then studied theology for a time with Rev. John Moore at Lebanon, N. H He was ordained to the ministry Aug. 21,1837, and settled at Chester, Vt., soon after, preaching there and at Weston till 1839, when he removed to FulchvilTe in the same State, and preached there and in the neighboring villages and towns for a year; he then went to Springfield, Vt., where he remained till tho spring of 1811, when he moved to Warren, Mass. In the fall of 1812, ho settled in Temple, N. H., where ho was pastor till 1856, preaching meanwhile in Wilton and Mason in the same State. While living at Temple he served as School Commissioner of Hillsborough County for two years.

In the spring of 1856 he left Temple and made himself a home in Marlborough, N. H., though he was never pastor there but preached in different parts of the State as opportunity offered till 1871, when he removed to Akron, Ohio, where he spent the remainder of his life, preaching in different towns in Knox County and vicinity till he became too feeble and infirm to leave home. He was ever zealously interested in the spread of the gospol, and was cheered and sustained in the many sorrows and trials of his life by his faith in the final triumph of good over evil.

Mr. Laws was married, Sept. 20,1817, to Miss Olive M. Johnson

of Chester, Vt. She was a very worthy and estimable woman; she died in Marlborough, N. H., April 2, 1867. Four children were born to them, of whom two daughters survive their parents.

XVI. Rev. Edwin Sawyer Corbin, son of Joseph and Mary Corbin, was born in Rochester, N. Y., Sept. 19, 1819, and died at Clifton Springs, N. Y., July 1, 1879.

Endowed with a sensitive and delicate organization, an earnest love tor the truth, and a reverence for all that is highest and holiest in life, Mr. Corbin from childhood was peculiarly suscepti- ble to religious influences, and in his early boyhood he felt him- self called of God, and resolved to devote himself to spreading the Gospel of the dear Saviour he loved, and in whose footsteps he diligently sought to walk. He had a kind and judicious ad- viser in his pastor. Rev. Dr. Saxe, who appreciated his faithful- ness and integrity, his rare intellectual powers and pure moral sense, and, stimulated by his hearty encouragement, he eatered Canton Theological School in 1870, and was graduated, June, 1873, with the reputation of superior scholarship and of great moral and Christian excellence.

Immediately alter his graduation, he was settled at Clifton Springs, which was his only pastorate. He was ordained to the ministry Oct. 8, 1873, and with him ordination was an entire con- secration of his rich gifts and powers, his strength and life, to the work which he believed was divinely appointed for hiui. His warm, tender and loving heart won the "affections of his people, his indomitable courage and energy, his enthusiasm, his tine intellectual gifts, his integrity and tolerance, commanded their respect and esteem, and his self-devotion, his strong faith, the eloquence of his pure life, his fervent piety and Christian humility claimed their reverence, and aided them to bring the religion of the Divine Master into their hearts and lives. He was with his people six years, and the work he accomplished was great indeed. His influence was not limited to his own parish, but the lustre of his character was as a bright and shining light, attracting atten- tion and winning admiration from all with whom he associated. From the brilliant promise of the morning, all looked forward to a glorious noon, and though the golden chains which bound him to earth have been early broken,—

"The soft memory of liis virtues yet Lingers like twilight hues, though the bright sun is set."
Mr. Corbin was married Jan 6, 1875, to Mias Estella H. Barber, of Canton, N. Y., who survives him

XVII. Rev Andrew Pingree, of Pingree Grove, Ill., died Aug. 18, 1879, aged 76 years. He was ordained in 1834, and was formerly an active minister in the church, and highly respected for his virtues and integrity.

XVIII. Rev. Frank Evans, son of Dr. David and Marv A. (Davenport) Evans, was born in Boston, Wayne Countv, Ind, March 5, 1838, and died in Eaton, Ohio, Oct. 2, 1879. Mr. Evans was educated at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, and had almost finished his collegiate course when the war broke out. At the first call of his imperilled country, he left his class, then just about to graduate, and enlisted in the 21st Ohio In- fantry, lie made a noble soldier's record, but received wounds that maimed liim for life, and from which he never fully recov- ered, and contracted the disease which finally caused his death. In recognition of his gallantry and efficiency, he was made major of the 18th Ohio Volunteers. He served in the army three years and one month After his return home, ho went to Ann Arbor, Mich., studied law,, was admitted to the bar, and practised law for two years; but he was not satisfied with his work, and finally decided to enter the ministry, as that was most in harmony with his strong religious convictions. He was first settled as a pastor at Fairfield, Ind., where he was ordained in 1870. After a pastorate of about four years, he removed to Mt. Gilead, Ohio, where he remained five years, going to Eaton only a few months before his death.

Mr. Evans was a thoughtful and vigorous writer, a faithful and true pastor, and devoted to his church; all denominational inter- ests and church enterprises found in him a zealous advocate. He was a great sufferer for many years, but never gave up his work. He had a very hopeful spirit, seeing God's blessed sun- shine behind the darkest clouds, and he was unwilling to neglect the work of the Master; so he persevered to the end, hoping for friends realized that his days were numbered. He retained his mind and consciousness to the last, and died rejoicing in the faith which filled his soul with peace and love. Mr. Evans was married Sept 'JO, 1860, to Miss Sue F. Richard- son, of Buffalo, N. Y., who survives him, with a little boy of six years.

XIX. Rev. Charles C. Thornton was born in Springfield, Vt, Nov. 20, 1826, and died in Hartland, Vt, Oct 13, 1879. Mr. Thornton was ordained as a minister in 1858. He was first set- tled in Waitsfield, Vt, where he remained four or five years; he afterwards preached for about the same length of time in Essex and Jericho, in the same State. On account of a throat difficulty, he was obliged to desist from preaching regularly, and he went into secular business in Hartland, preaching for the Universalist parish there a portion of the time, and attending many funerals. He was much beloved and respected for his amiability and integ- rity. Mr. Thornton was twice married. His first wife was a sister of Rev. Luther Rice, of Watertowu, N. Y.


Main Page  |  About the Project  |  Contact Us  |  Fair Use Policy

All material copyright Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society (UUHHS) 1999-2020
Links to third-party sites are provided solely as a convenience. DUUB does not endorse materials on other sites.

CREDIT LINE: From the biography of _______ written by ________ in
the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography, an on-line resource of the Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society.