Index by Last Name
+ index is incomplete
Back to Dictionary

+ Digitized Directories
+ 1846-1922 Unitarian
+ 1840-1920 Universalist

Obituaries (1883-1884) in the 1885 Register

The text on this page may contain errors.
It was generated by Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software.
To view original scanned images of these biographical sketches at the library: CLICK HERE


Cornelius Arbogast of Shelby County, Ohio, died Nov. 4,1883, aged 82. Rev. G. L. Demorest, DiD., says of him :— "He was a native of Virginia, but removed to Ohio in his boyhood. He was ordained to the Universalist ministry in 1844, but served the Church rather as an evangelist than as a pastor. He was upright in all the relations of life, and was honored by his neighbors with many useful trusts. 'He quietly and peacefully passed away to his Creator and Father, whom he had faithfully served so long.'"

Alvan Dinsmore of Woodland, Cal., died at De Witt, Iowa, Nov. 9, 1883, aged 81. He was born in Scarboro', Me., Jan. 24, 1803, and entered the ministry at the age of 20. in 1823. During his ministry of forty years he had eight settlements, covering the wide Held of Maine, New Hamp- shire, New York, Ohio. Illinois and Iowa. He was reputed a good classical scholar, and learned in the scriptures. He was a successful teacher in Westbrook Seminary, Me., and afterwards was for some years at the head of the Academy at Morrisville, N. Y.; then at Cleveland and Sharon Centre, Ohio. He moved to lllinios in 1847, and took a farm, but was afterwards induced to return to Sharon Centre for a second pastorate. In 1856 he took up farming again in Clinton County, Iowa. Hut whether teaching or farming he retained the same active interest in the cause and Church to which he gave himself in early life. In 1860, owing to feeble health, he retired from active labor, spending his latter d&ya in California, till he finally closed his earthly career at De Witt, Iowa, in the home of his son-in-law. He is spoken of by the older ministers as a man of learning and piety, with a reputation and character without reproach. His name is held in honorable remembrance.

C. C. Gordon, one of the oldest clergymen of our order in New York, died in Brooklyn, December 2, at the age of 77. He was a native of New Hampshire, born at Salem, N. H., in 1807. He received his early education in the Boston Latin School. In 1837 he was ordained in Stafford, Conn. He had pastoral settlements in Mt. Vernon, N. Y., South Danvers. Mass. and Nunda, N. Y. In 18G0 he retired from ministerial labor, his failing health requiring the change. He made Brooklyn his home until his death, and the most of the time of his residence there was in secular business, being secretary of the Architectural Iron Works, and for a time president of the Philadelphia Car Co. He had a very active mind, was an excellent mathematician, of a fine ner- vous temperament, very social, and an excellent companion. He was a most exemplar}- Christian man.

George W. Quinby, D.D., of Augusta, Me., died, Jan. 10, 1884. He was born in Saccarappa, Me., Dec. 20, 1811, and at the time of his death was a little more than 73 years of age. He received a common school and academic edu- cation. He prepared for the ministry under the instruction of Rev. Zenas Thompson, and commenced to preach at Poland, Me., in 1835. He was ordained at Livermore in 1837. He held pastorates in Maine and Massachusetts for a number of years, and in 1851 was settled over the First- Universalist Church at Cincinnati, Ohio. He soon after purchased "The Star in the West," which he edited till 1857 and thus com- menced his long service of more than thirty years as editor and publisher. After closing his pastorate in Cincinnati he removed to Maine, and was afterwards pastor of our churches in Middletown, Conn, and Taunton and Melrose, Mass. In 1862, while preaching at ttie latter place, he purchased, in connection with Rev. James M. Usher, the "Trumpet and Freeman," with which he was connected for two years. In 1864 Dr. Quinby removed to Augusta, Me., and purchased the "Gospel Banner," which he edited and published until within a few months of his death.

Dr. Qninby's literary work was not confined to the pulpit or his paper. He was the author of several books, all of which have had a large sale. His " Gallows, Prison and Poor- house," was published in 1856. His "Salvation of Christ" has passed through twenty-seven editions. His last and best book, " Heaven Our Home," was published in 1876 and has already reached its eighth edition. Dr. Quinby was also the author of au excellent book on the " Marriage Relation."

As a writer and preacher, Dr. Quinby's work was char- acterized by strength and sincerity. In theology he was of the Father llallou type of thought. He was a man of large and tender sympathies, a kind friend, a social companion, and of commanding presence before an audience. His record is a noble one as a man, and as a Christian minister.

Timothy B. Pool, died at Mt. Carmel, Ky., in Januarj-, 1884, aged 80 years. He was born in 1804; ordained in 1866. He was a physician by profession, and for many years had quite a large and active practice; but in early manhood he became a convert to Universalism, organized a church at Mt. Carmel, and was an active member of it. His education and Bible studies rendered him an acceptable preacher long before he thought of being ordained. He never was settled over any parish, but did such ministerial work as came in his way, not interfering too much with his medical labor. He is spoken of as a man of a devotional temperament, and preached with an unction that stirred the feelings of his hearers. His character was pure, and his nature generous and kind. He was deeply devoted to the faith and principles of our Church.

L. J. Fletcher, D.D., died Sunday, Jan. 20, 1884, at Franklin, at the age of 66 years. He was ordained in 1843. His first pastorate was in Brattleboro', Vt.; before which he had been a teacher in West Swanzey Academy, N. H., during which time he regularly preached in the vicinity. In 1846 he was called to Cambridgeport; thence to Lowell in 1848. His other pastorates were in Bath, Gardner, Me.. Grand Kapids, Mich., Buffalo, Fort Plain, N. Y., and in 1881 he was called to Franklin, Mass., where he died. He was a trustee of Dean Academy, and at the time of his death was president of the board of directors. His interest in the cause of education was second only to that of his love for his religion. He was a worker in the Sunday school, a fine musician, and the author of a popular service book for Sunday schools; also of the "Gloria Patri" and some other musical works. He was a man of thought, and of chaste, vigorous expression, as a preacher. In executive ability, and as a pastor, he had few superiors. His sympathies were quick and strong, and he drew around him hosts of friends. His death is a severe loss to our ministry; for although some- what along in years, his eye was undimmed and his natural force unabated. He was active, vigorous and progressive to the very close of his ministry. There were few-public speak- ers, in the pulpit or on the platform, who could hold an audience better than Dr. Fletcher.

A Terre Haute (Tnd.) paper notes the death of James G. Burt. It says: " Rev James G. Hurt, died February 13, at the residence of his daughter Mrs. Samuel McKeen, after a long, painful illness. By the death of this esteemed and venerable man we lose one more of the sterling characters whose lives and influence have affected this community only for good, whose lengthening days raised them in general esteem, and whose honest, consistent careers have secured as a heritage to their children an honored, good name."

Mr. Burt was born in Woodstock. Conn., July 21,1809. He educated himself for the Universa'ist ministry, and preached for several years in New England. Forty-five years ago he removed to the then sparsely settled West, to take an active part in developing; its religious and political life. While preaching, he assisted in editing a denominational paper. He was an early and outspoken abolitionist, warm in his sympathy with the Union cause, radical in many of his relig- ious and political views, yet a kindly and charitable man. He was for some years pastor of the Universalist church in Terre Haute, but for a few years past had ceased to preach, and resided on his farm, a little out from the city, until, just before his death, he came to live with his daughter. He leaves two sons and one daughter.

Salmon C. Bulkley, of Ridott, Ill., died February, 1884, aged 74. He was born in Colchester, Conn., Feb. 23, 1810. He was on a visit to Texas at the time of his death. A teacher in early life, he went from the school-house to the pulpit. He was ordained at Newark, N. J., Oct. 29, 1835. He first preached at Uanbury, Conn. He was settled in New Market, N. H., in 1837; thence he went to Danvers, Mass., where he remained for three years. He afterwards became general missionary in New York City for three years, editor of the " Christian Messenger"; when that paper was united with the '; Magazine and Advocate," under the name of the "' Christian Ambassador," Mr. Bulkley re- mained as editor, in connection with Rev. O. A. Skinner and W. S. Baleh, U.l). In 1856 he went West and became the financial agent for Lombard University at Galesburg. He preached in Jonesville and La Crosse, Wis., and Wheaton and Napier, III. For several years past he lived in Kidott. He was a man of strong faith and earnest zeal, of ready wit, and mighty in the scriptures, holding no less than seven public discussions with prominent religious opponents, and in even- instances doing credit to the cause he advocated. He was much beloved by his colemporary brethren, and did valiant service for the " faith once delivered to the saints."

H. A. Merrell, of Fairfield, Ind., died in Mt. Dora, Fla., March 11, aged 32 years. About ten weeks before his death he went to Florida, for the benefit of his health; and for awhile he flattered himself that he was improving. He had much to live for, and a strong desire to get well, but Providence, ordering otherwise, he yielded submissively to nature's bidding, turning his face from the bright world, sustained and cheered by the hope of a brighter heaven. From the pen of his friend, Rev. W. C. Brooks, we learn the following tacts of his life : —

H. A. Merrell was born in St. Lawrence Co., New York, on the fifteenth day of March, 1851. He was educated at St. Lawrence University, St. Lawrence Co., New York, and at the theological school. He graduated from the college in 1873, and from the theological school in 1876. He commenced preaching in the fall of the same year in Bloomfleld, Can. His next settlement was at Conncautville, Penn.; then at Aurora, Ind.; then Chrisman, Ill.; then Lafayette, Ind.; and last in White Water Association, Fairfield, Ind. lie was a young man of promising talents, and of pure charac- ter; and his early death inflict9 a severe loss upon his friends, and the Universalist Church.

Aaron Burd Grosh was born near Litiz, Lancaster Co., Penn., May 22, 1803, and died in Towson, Md , March 27, 1884. He embraced Universalism in 1823, began preach- ing in 1821, and received letters of fellowship in September of that year. In 1830 be became assistant editor of the "Evangelical Magazine," published in Utica, N. Y. In 1835 he became part proprietor and chief editor of that paper. From 1839 to 1865, Mr. Grosh was editor of the "Universa- list Register and Companion." His settlements as pastor were in Reading, Penn., Philadelphia, Fort Plain and Perry, N. Y. After his retirement from pastoral duties he employed his pen in writing in behalf of religion, temperance and Odd Fellowship. He was one of the founders of the " Patrons of Husbandry," and served for several years as chaplain of the National Grange. He was author of "The Odd Fellows' Manual," and " The Mentor in the Granges and Homes of Patrons of Husbandly." He was also a writer for several magazines and papers, being ever ready with both pen and voice to forward every good work. After the close of the war he engaged in secular business, filling various offices of trust and responsibility in Washington, D. C, still retaining his love for his Church and proving an efficient helper in the establishment of our cause in that city. We are indebted to Rev. Mr. Shrigley for the particulars of this brief sketch, who speaks of Mr. G. as "one of the ablest clergymen of our Church, and a perfect gentleman of the old school."

Silas S. Fletcher, died in Exeter, N. H., on the 29th of March, 1884. aged 6G years. He was ordained in 1842, and commenced the work of the ministry in Orland and Bucksport, Me., the same year. In 1844 he was called to New Bed- ford, Mass., where he remained as pastor two years.

Thence he removed to Bridgeport, Conn., where he remained till 1848, when he became pastor of the church in Ports- mouth, N. H. In 1852 he was called to Exeter, and was pastor of the society for two years, in connection with a stated supply at Kensington. Finding Exeter a good place for the education of his children, he made it his permanent home, continuing the supply at Kensington for several j-ears, in connection with other clerical work in that locality. He had but few idle Sundays in the forty two years he was able to preach. He was an acceptable and earnest preacher, a close thinker, sound in theology, always expressing himself in terse, well-chosen rhetoric. He was highly respected in the community, and his death removes another of the strong and faithful men of our ministerial corps.

Chancy [Chauncy] W. Knickerbacker, died at Wayne, Mich., April 26, aged 6O years. He was born in New York, in Perrington, June 11, 1824, but removed early in life to Michigan. His first public labor was in teaching, and he preached his first sermon in the school-house, in Wayne where he had been a teacher. He was ordained in 1850. His first settlement was in the town of Kay, Mich., from which field he was called, at the expiration of one year, to Lansing, the State capital, in 1852. In 1860 he returned to Wayne, and during the next ten years, labored in Wayne, Farmington, New Hudson, and Rochester. In 1870 he removed to Bay City, where he labored successfully for six years. Thence returning to Wayne, he made it his home until his death. For the last eight years he labored in various towns in the vicinity, preaching his last sermon in Concord, March 9, 1884. Rev. C. A. Knickerbacker of Spencer, Mass., is a son of the deceased. As a preacher Mr. Knickerbacker ranked high. His sermons were thought- ful, earnest, and eloquent. He was a man of fine presence. As a pastor he was very successful. Social and kindly in his feelings, he won friends among all classes. As a citizen, he was esteemed by all. His influence was an honor to his religion. His death, at so early an age, is a great loss to the Universalist church in the West.

Linus Paine, died at Friendship, N. Y., May 23, aged 80 years. He was born in Washington, N. II., Dec. 30, 1804, and was ordained in 1837. He is spoken of a9 a use- ful and faithful preacher, although no details of his settle- ments are given. Most of his ministerial labors were done in New York. His life was examplary, and his character above reproach. He belonged to the order of Odd Fellows.

Alvin Abbott, died at Bradford, Ill., June 20, 1884, aged 71 years. Mr. Abbott was born in Paris, Me. He was brought up and educated in the Baptist faith. By study of the scriptures, and the exercise of reason, he became a believer in the salvation of all men. In 1840, in Sutton, Mass., he was ordained as a Christian minister, and remained in the fellowship of the Universalist denomination until the time of his death. He held pastorates in Sutton, Oxford, Spencer, Sandwich. Chatham, in Mass., and in Win- chester, and Marlboro'. N. H. In 1856 he moved to Illinois, where he was settled for a short time at Marseilles. He con- tinued the active work of the ministry, preaching in vacant pulpits, and attending funerals till the close of his life. He is spoken of by those who knew him as an upright man and a faithful preacher.

John E. Davenport, departed this life in Providence, It. I., June 27, 1K84, at the age of 63 years. He was born in Providence, March 10, 1821. Early in life he manifested an inclination for the ministry; and as sob:i as he had saved sufficient funds, he entered the school at Clinton, N. Y., then in charge of T. J. Sawyer, U.D., where he completed a four years' course of study. Among his classmates, were Richard Eddy, D.D., and' J. H. Tuttle, D.D. After his graduation he supplied the pulpit at Somers, Conn., for several years. Thence he was called to Ainesbury, Mass.; and from there to Weymouth, where he was married; thence he was called to Yarmoutliport, where he remained for five years. His next settlement was at Biddeford, Me., for two years; thence he went to Marion where he preached for a while, supplying Mattapoisett at the same time. Hingham was his next field of labor, where he spent four years very pleasantly. Methuen was his next pastorate. From there he went to Oxford, and thence to Chicopee. After severing his relations with the latter place, he continued to make it his home, preaching a year at Wilmington, Vt. His last parish work was done at North Orange, which place he was com- pelled to leave on account of a painful disease in his eyes. Unable to work, he moved to Providence, hoping, on the return of health, to tind some professional or other work, by which to support himself and family. But openings for sup- plies were scarce, his health was still infirm, his hope gave way, his spirits became depressed, aud his death soon after was recorded in the newspapers.

He was a man of conscientious fidelity, of great purity of character, of kindly feeling and tender sj-mpathy, making friends wherever he went. His settlements were none of them long, but in every place where he lived his record was good. None who knew him can read the above outlines of his life, and recall his sad death, without serious reflection and a sympathetic tear.

Walter Harriman, died July 25, 1884, in Concord, N. H., aged 67. We notice this death because before he entered political and military life, he was a minister of the Universalist Church. He was ordained in about 1844. He first settled in Boxboro', Mass., afterwards in Warner. N. H. But the stirring scenes of the political world attracted his attention, and lie left the pulpit for the debates of the ros- trum. In 1853 he was sent by President Pierce to investigate the troubles in Kansas. On the breaking out of the war he raised a New Hampshire regiment, and was commissioned as Colonel. He was subsequently elected governor of the State. He was appointed as uaval officer of the port of Boston by President Lincoln. He was a man of great energy and vigor of character, and had he remained a preacher, would have risen to high honor and usefulness in the Church. Retaining his liberal faith, his warm sympathies and strong love for humanity, he served God and man, as faithfully, and perhaps, quite as effectively, in civil, as he could have done in ecclesiastical life.

Erasmus Manford, died in Chicago, August 16, in the seventieth year of his age. He was born at Newburyport, Mass., in 1815. In 1835 he went West and engaged in an itinerant life, in the interests of the Universalist faith, — a course he pursued for fifty years. Never locating as a set- tled preacher, he made the world his field of labor, and was very successful in gathering souls to the truth and kingdom of Christ. In 1841 he began the publication of a periodical for the advocacy of Universalism, which he continued until the time of his death, under the name of " Manford'8 Maga- zine." It was an able and candid exposition of Bible truth as he understood it. He also published a narrative of his itinerant labors, with the title "Twenty-five Years in the West," said to be a thrilling and interesting work. He was a man of positive elements of character, of great persever- ance, faithful to his sense of duty, a kind friend, and very- much respected by those who knew him. He loved his home and family, and was greatly aided in his literary labors by his estimable companion, Mrs. Manford, who survives him. He was ordained to the ministry in the year 1836.

A. L. Loveland, died September 28, in Granby, Conn. He was born in Glastonbury, Conn., in 1825; was self-edu- cated, intending to be a physician, but was persuaded bv Rev. H. B. Soule to study for the ministry. He was ordained in Granby in 1857, where he was pastor for three years. Thence he was called to Norwich, where he preached three years, being obliged, at the expiration of that time, to quit pulpit labor by reason of a throat disease. He returned to Granby and engaged in farming and horticulture, a business congenial to his tastes and conducive to his restora- tion to health. He soon found strength and ample opportu- nities to preach in Lyme, Grauville and other parts of East- ern Connecticut. He did much to sustain the society in Granby, and was Anally recalled to the pastorate some two or three years before his death. He was a man of robust con- stitution, and the picture of health, when he was suddenly cut down by disease. Possessing good abilities as a thinker and sermonizer, with scholarly tastes and excellent elocution- ary powers, his death is a sad loss to our ministry as well as a severe affliction to his family and society' in Granby. .

Main Page  |  About the Project  |  Contact Us  |  Fair Use Policy

All material copyright Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society (UUHHS) 1999-2020
Links to third-party sites are provided solely as a convenience. DUUB does not endorse materials on other sites.

CREDIT LINE: From the biography of _______ written by ________ in
the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography, an on-line resource of the Unitarian Universalist History & Heritage Society.